Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Satellite A500-1GL (PSAR9E) switches on by itself at 08:20 every morning

1. Satellite A500-1GL (PSAR9E) switches on by itself at 08:20 every morning
    Beginner
    Hi,

I've had my Satellite A500-1GL (PSAR9E) for a couple of weeks now, and it's great apart from the fact it switches itself on every morning at about 08:20.

Event log "Event log has started" messages from the past ten days or so:

16/Feb/2010 08:20:22
    15/Feb/2010 08:20:22
    14/Feb/2010 08:20:26
    13/Feb/2010 10:17:37 (But I'd been using the machine that morning, and only shut it down at about 9am).
    12/Feb/2010 08:20:28
    10/Feb/2010 08:20:28
    09/Feb/2010 08:20:25
    08/Feb/2010 08:20:30

* The machine is *shut down* each night, (not hibernated or suspended), generally some time between 11pm and 1am.
    * I've been *switching off* the wifi selector on the machine case each night after shutdown, (since I was wondering if the issue was caused by wake-up-on-lan).
    * I've been unplugging all usb devices from the machine after shutdown
    * I've even been unplugging my headphones on the off chance this makes a difference, (it doesn't)...

I have been leaving the machine plugged into the mains, but there have been no power interruptions of any kind since I've had the machine.

There is no-one else at home when this happens, and I have no pets!

I am completely stumped as to why the machine switches itself on, (and at almost exactly the same time each day!)

Has anyone got any ideas here?

Thanks,

Freddo

2. Re: Satellite A500-1GL (PSAR9E) switches on by itself at 08:20 every morning
    Beginner
    Hi

I have exactly the same problem. I have checked in the event viewer and my A500-1GL turns itself on at 08:20:11 every morning. I thought it was the media feather button that perhaps was being activated, but I didn't realise it was happening at the same time every day until I saw your post. Now when I check the event logs I see that it is.

Is this a BIOS problem or some software? I couldn't see any setting in the BIOS for auto wake.

Is anyone else having this problem? It's annoying because when my laptop is in my bag when it switches on, it is getting very hot.

Please help!

Thank you :)

Mark

3. Re: Satellite A500-1GL (PSAR9E) switches on by itself at 08:20 every morning
    okay guys
    just calm down!
    your machines arent working nightshifts... or do they?

check bios for wakeup events
    unplug lan cable also...

but eventlog started means generally nothing... ;-) it's a windows service ;-)

either you have set a wake up time in bios (or windows)
    or the clock isnt set right (gmt+1 or so)
    or you two have ghosts in the house.... i am kidding of course....

+switching off the wifi selector+ does not make sense until lan cable is plugged in...

have you monitored that the machine boots up or is it just the entry in the event log?
    is the time in the protocol one hour before or later than you booted the machine?

to make sure that no one can use your computer remote: unplug power source and battery.

check bios and applications!

4. Re: Satellite A500-1GL (PSAR9E) switches on by itself at 08:20 every morning
    Beginner
    Hi Al-eX

In answer to your points (thanks) and to clarify, the laptop is starting up after being completely shut down in Windows, so I don't think any Windows service could be causing the issue. This would only be the case if the laptop was in sleep or hibernate modes.

Also, after shutting down the laptop in the evening, it remains off with nothing plugged into it, so no LAN, no USB etc... and the wireless switch is off too. At 08:20 the next morning it turns on and boots into Windows (I watched it this morning) as if I had switched it on itself. The laptop lid is closed and it does this at exactly the same time every morning.

I have checked the BIOS thoroughly and I can find no wake-up settings of any kind. Do you know where it might be?

I have also performed a test where I change my clock to 08:15, then shut down the laptop and sure enough, 5 mins later, it will start up again. So it has something to do with the clock. Something (I think the BIOS) is checking the clock and starting up the laptop.

I really cannot see how it can be anything other than the BIOS as I always shut Windows down properly and never leave it in standby or hibernation.

So now I have restored to removing the battery at night as it is the only way I can stop it from starting at 08:20 the next morning :(

Also, with 3 people reporting the same issue, with exactly the same startup time, I cannot see this being a hardware fault either.

Very strange.

I really would appreciate any other suggestions.

Many thanks

Mark

5. Re: Satellite A500-1GL (PSAR9E) switches on by itself at 08:20 every morning
    Beginner
    Indded, same here, nothing plugged in other than power, definitely no power fluctuations. The machine sits on a desk, and I've not even moved it since I first unpacked it.

It does definitely switch on by itself at the same time each day. (From off, not hibernated or sleeping or suspended), and it doesn't appear to be related to when I last used switched it on or switched it off.

Current BIOS settings, (highlighted things that could conceviably be in some way relevant that I've changed [and made no difference]):

System BIOS Version: 1.20
    EC Version: 1.20

System Configuration page:
    PCI Lan: Enabled (but I've never plugged a cable into it)
    Internal Pointing Device: Enabled
    Web Camera: Enabled
    SATA Controller Mode: Compatibility
    Power-on Display: Auto (though setting this to "Internal display only" makes no difference, and no external screen is plugged in anyway)
    Function Button: Enabled
    Function Button Beep: Enabled
    HDMI-CEC: Enabled
    Remote Power On / Off: *Disabled*

Advanced page:
    Boot Speed: Normal
    Execute-Disable Bit: Available
    Capability Virtualization technology: VT-x Only
    Beep Sound: Off
    USB Sleep and Charge: *Disabled*
    USB Legacy Emulation: *Disabled*

Power management page:
    Wake-up on Lan: *Disabled*
    Wake on Keyboard: *Disabled*
    Critical Battery Wake-up: *Disabled*
    Core Multiprocessing: Enabled
    Illumination LED: Off
    eSATA: *Disabled*
    SATA Interface setting: Performance

Vexing...

Freddo

6. Re: Satellite A500-1GL (PSAR9E) switches on by itself at 08:20 every morning
    Beginner
    Hi,

I have a different laptop, but the same problem here http://forums.computers.toshiba-europe.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=51352
    I have the same bios version (1.20 of 12/17/2009) , and same power management values.

7. Re: Satellite A500-1GL (PSAR9E) switches on by itself at 08:20 every morning
    Beginner
    Same problem here with a Satellite A500-1GW.

Please find a solution!

8. Re: Satellite A500-1GL (PSAR9E) switches on by itself at 08:20 every morning
    Beginner
    I bought my A500-1GG (PSAR9E-01900LEP) monday, and this morning when I woke up it was on, and judging by the event log, it booted at 8.20am too :S
    Does anyone have any idea why this is happening?

9. Re: Satellite A500-1GL (PSAR9E) switches on by itself at 08:20 every morning
    Beginner
    Hi all

My 2 day old Toshiba A500 - 1GL has been switching itself on at 08:20 also the 2 mornings ive had it so far nearly overheated as i put it in laptop bag before i went to bed and was woke by the fan screaming like mad meh hopefully theres a fix soon. 8-(

10. Re: Satellite A500-1GL (PSAR9E) switches on by itself at 08:20 every morning
    Beginner
    Hi, I also have a A500 series computer with the same exact behaviour, including the exact same time at this turning on manifests itself. I'm getting pretty annoyed at this right now as i think that a laptop that is set to shutdown should not turn itself on for no reason other than the user pressing the on button. Could this have something to do with a toshiba application trying to get news and/or updates?

I'm an experienced user and the computer is brand new. All is fine except this very annoying "feature". Could we get an answer on this? I'm bloody sure more people would be experiencing this if they didn't had their PCs set to hibernate automatically. The fact that his happens after a shutdown and at an exact time seems to indicate that is BIOS related. However i cannot see any setting that may be affecting this behaviour.

I would go as far as returning this unit as faulty unless given a satisfactory answer until the returnability deadline expires.

11. Re: Satellite A500-1GL (PSAR9E) switches on by itself at 08:20 every morning
    Beginner
    Hi all,

I phoned Toshiba UK support (0844 847 8944), this morning who were very nice, though no solution yet. They acknowleged that this is a problem and said that they already have someone looking into it.

They couldn't give an estimate for resolution, but did say they'd hopefully know more "in a week or two". - I gave them the link to this thread in case they want any more examples of the problem.

It would seem the only things we can do for now to stop this happening is to remove the battery.

Freddo

*Geek note:* I've not tried this, but if you're using an operating system that supports BIOS clock in UTC, (ie Linux, BSD etc, but *not* Windows), there is a marginally more useful workaround. You could change the BIOS time so that 08:20 falls when you'd already be using the machine or don't care so much if it switches on, and change your timezone to compensate for the difference.

12. Re: Satellite A500-1GL (PSAR9E) switches on by itself at 08:20 every morning
    Master
    Hi freddo

Have you tried to load default BIOS settings?
    Enter BIOS settings press F9 and save settings.

Check if this will happen again.

13. Re: Satellite A500-1GL (PSAR9E) switches on by itself at 08:20 every morning
    Beginner
    Hi all I was emailing Toshia and im not sure if this means anything but they asked me to check which devices are waking up my computer using cmd.

They asked me to do powercfg devicequery wake_armed

when I done this I got Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller as the device waking my computer is this the same for everyone else?

14. Re: Satellite A500-1GL (PSAR9E) switches on by itself at 08:20 every morning
    Beginner
    I also got that, Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller, and my USB mouse. But I already disabled Wake-up on LAN on my BIOS, so there's no reason why Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller is waking the computer...

15. Re: Satellite A500-1GL (PSAR9E) switches on by itself at 08:20 every morning
    Beginner
    If with my previous post you got the Realtek device in the list of things waking up your computer Toshiba just emailed me this fix:

Click Start Menu > Type cmd in the search box, right click "cmd" select Run as administrator

Once the command prompt window is open type:

powercfg -devicedisablewake "Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller" press enter key.

And if you have another device like i did which was my wireless mouse the just type

powercfg -devicedisablewake "Name of Device" Press enter key , The name of the device must be typed exactly the way the device query shows it in cmd.

Hope this helps

16. Re: Satellite A500-1GL (PSAR9E) switches on by itself at 08:20 every morning
    Beginner
    Ok, done that. Now I have to wait for tomorrow morning to see if it had any result... I sure hope this helps, I don't wanna have to remove the battery every night

17. Re: Satellite A500-1GL (PSAR9E) switches on by itself at 08:20 every morning
    Beginner
    Ok, i'm testing this and i've managed to go through the 8.20 mark without it happening. Will hold celebrations until i go a full day without this incident happening again but i still believe there is something wrong at the BIOS level. With the setting wake on LAN disabled this should not happen. And it happening at a certain time without even a LAN cable connected to it reeks of programing fault. And not mentioning the fact that a laptop on shutdown should have this behaviour at all.

18. Re: Satellite A500-1GL (PSAR9E) switches on by itself at 08:20 every morning
    Beginner
    I'm so please I found this thread.

I purchased 2 A500-1GL notebooks, one for my daughter and one for my mother. Both were set up identically together, same software removed and same software added.

The Notebook my daughter has is fine, but the Notebook my mother has wakes up everyday at 8.20 am.

I've made sure 'wake up with LAN' is turned off and have been pulling my hair out with it.

It must be a BIOS thing, the computer is shutdown, everything unplugged - nothing is running. It cannot be anything to do with software running in the background of Windows. Windows isn't running.

I will try your fix and see if it cures it. But I don't hold out much hope.

I'll report back and buy you a pint if it does fix it. lol :D

19. Re: Satellite A500-1GL (PSAR9E) switches on by itself at 08:20 every morning
    Master
    Hey guys….

That’s nice!!! Please report if the solution posted by +Windenea+ helped….
    This would be useful info for others here in the forum!

Greets to all!

20. Re: Satellite A500-1GL (PSAR9E) switches on by itself at 08:20 every morning
    Beginner
    No luck with that tip.

You don't have to wait until 8.20 every morning, just set the windows clock to 8.18 and shutdown. Darn thing starts up evry time.

I've disbled the LAN in the bios as I don't use it. Confirmed in device manager that it is not listed anymore and it still starts up, so it is not that.

I've manually gone through the advanced tab of power management in windows and disabled anything that starts or stops the computer. It still starts up at 8.20

This one as got me beat. CMD doesn't list anything.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast