Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Strange issue with touchpad on Satellite L500-19Z

1. Strange issue with touchpad on Satellite L500-19Z
    Beginner
    I have a one month old Satellite L500-19Z operating on Windows 7 64bit.
    Whilst using it to edit some photographs, it began to behave strangely. It was as if someone was rapidly depressing the mouse left button. I was unable to exit any program or use the Start Menu to reboot.

After disconnecting power, and battery, I started it in Safe Mode, but the problem was still there. If I hovered over any icon it brought the window up repeatedly. By disabling the touchpad using Fn+F9, I was able to use a graphic tablet to re-boot and it works as normal. I am reluctant to use the System Recovery or the Recovery Discs that I created when I bought it due to the number of third party programs that I would lose.

Has anyone experienced this problem please? What do I do to enable the touchpad to see if it is now working properly?
    Many thanks

2. Re: Strange issue with touchpad on Satellite L500-19Z
    Master
    Hi

Can you enable/disable the touchpad by pressing FN+F9 as usual?

In your case I would also update the touchpad driver. You can download it here:
    http://eu.computers.toshiba-europe.com => Support & Downloads => Download Drivers

If an external mouse works but the touchpad still makes problems I think you should use the Toshiba recovery disk to restore factory settings. After this you have the same settings as on the first day where you bought the notebook.

3. Re: Strange issue with touchpad on Satellite L500-19Z
    Beginner
    Using an external mouse I was able to perform Safe Mode bootup, and saved data to external drive. Used recovery discs, same fault evident. Technical support advised returning it to GERMANY for warranty repair.

When it was returned the operating system was reconfigured so that I could not open it as administrator, had to open new user account. According to Technical Support, the factory use a different recovery disc! I asked if I should use my recovery discs again, but was told it was not necessary. However, now that I have spent several hours downloading folders and installing various programs, I find that Windows 7 is working differently. In particular, no thumbnail pictures are appearing in various picture files, only the picture icon. Same with preview pane, only an icon appears. Any advice, would be welcome.

Disappointingly there was no paperwork with the returned item to advised what work had been carried out, ie replacement of hardware, drive or software or advising how to open an account.

4. Re: Strange issue with touchpad on Satellite L500-19Z
    Master
    > Disappointingly there was no paperwork with the returned item to advised what work had been carried out, ie replacement of hardware, drive or software or advising how to open an account.

So why you donít get in contact with the ASP who repaired the notebook and why you donít ask what has been done? Only these guys can provide more detailsÖ

> When it was returned the operating system was reconfigured so that I could not open it as administrator, had to open new user account. According to Technical Support, the factory use a different recovery disc! I asked if I should use my recovery discs again, but was told it was not necessary. However, now that I have spent several hours downloading folders and installing various programs, I find that Windows 7 is working differently. In particular, no thumbnail pictures are appearing in various picture files, only the picture icon. Same with preview pane, only an icon appears. Any advice, would be welcome.

Of course you can use the own recovery disk and could reinstall the OS again.
    But I think itís just an matter of Win 7 configuration;

Check this page:
    +Windows 7 tip: Preview audio and video files before playing+
    http://digitizor.com/2009/09/21/windows-7-tip-preview-audio-and-video-files-before-playing/

5. Re: Strange issue with touchpad on Satellite L500-19Z
    Beginner
    Thank you for your post. As I do not know who the Repair centre are, it would be difficult to ask them. The Technical Support are only open 9-6 Monday to Friday so must wait until after the week-end. After a repair, should I need to do this?

You misread the problem with the file identification. I can enable/disable preview pane which is basically what your link shows. I have used the facility previously. This does not help however, as all that appears is a picture icon, not the picture. If I open a folder of pictures, all I get are a series of icons!

Yes I could run my recovery discs again, then spend another day installing third party programs and data files once more, but is there a different way to do it that would reduce my stress factor as well as save time? Microsoft will not help as I did not purchase the Windows 7 from them.

6. Re: Strange issue with touchpad on Satellite L500-19Z
    Beginner
    I have now found that by going into Tools > Folder Options > View > Advanced Settings > Files and Folders - the first box (always show icons, never thumbnails) should not be checked (assuming you want preview options). I have also found some other settings had been changed by the Repair Centre.

The moral of the story is never assume that your laptop will come back to you as you set it, always use your own Recovery Discs or the Repair partition after a repair, then load up with your data and third party programs. Less waste of time and far less stress.