Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Re: Satellite M60 - Wrong machine error when booting from Product Recovery CD

1. Satellite M60 - Wrong machine error when booting from Product Recovery CD
    Beginner
    I have a Satellite M60 notebook which I formatted in 2007. At that time, I used a Product Recovery CD that I purchased from Tosiba Australia.
    I now want to format my HDD again using the same CD, but this time when I boot from the CD, I get a "Wrong machine" error.
    I assume that the information on my HDD has been corrupted which causes the utility to fail.

Can anyone provide me with any ideas on how to overcome this problem?

2. Re: Satellite M60 - Wrong machine error when booting from Product Recovery CD
    Master
    >I have a Satellite M60 notebook which I formatted in 2007. At that time, I used a Product Recovery CD that I purchased from Toshiba Australia.
    Sorry Richard but one thing is confusing for me. At this time every Toshiba notebook was delivered with recovery installations disc and it was in the box with brand new notebook model. I don't know where do you live and where you bought your notebook model but I don't understand is your notebook an Australian notebook model and you bought recovery CD in “country of purchase”.

Recovery installations discs are specific discs created for certain notebook models. Before the recovery installations starts specific info on recovery disc will be compared to data saved on the notebook and just if the info matches recovery procedure will be continued. That means you cannot use recovery from some other notebook model and install it on your Satellite model.
    This data is not saved on HDD and HDD is not relevant for this data check.

Usually when the notebook is repaired and mainboard exchanged technician must rewrite right information data. Sometimes this will be forgotten and a recovery installation ends with “Wrong machine error”.

The question is: Was your notebook repaired in the past?

3. Re: Satellite M60 - Wrong machine error when booting from Product Recovery CD
    Beginner
    Yes the notebook was repaired. I can not remember whether it was the HDD or motherboard that was replaced but when I got it back, the system would not boot.

As I did not have a recovery CD (was either lost or not supplied), I needed to purchase one from Toshiba Australia. The laptop was purchased in New Zealand but my local Toshiba support is in Australia. We only have Toshiba distributors in New Zealand.

Once I got the CD from Australia, I booted off the CD and installed XP without any issues.

As I have already used this CD once and as the CD is clearly identified as being for a Satellite M60, I have no doubt that the CD and notebook models match. The CD has been well protected since 2007 and is in perfect condition.

4. Re: Satellite M60 - Wrong machine error when booting from Product Recovery CD
    Master
    >...motherboard that was replaced but when I got it back, the system would not boot.
    In my opinion you should contact service again and clarify this. Ask if they have rewritten the DMI info.
    Maybe they forgot to do this.