Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Re: Satellite Pro L500-196: Which drivers for Windows XP

1. Satellite Pro L500-196: Which drivers for Windows XP
    Beginner
    Hello everyone!

I just purchased a Sat Pro L500-196 which comes with Windows7 installed.

However for the use of older software which I need for my work, I want to install the Windows XP from my old laptop.
    I want to setup a dual-boot environment so I can use Win7 for most of the time but be able to boot into XP whenever I need to.

The support page for this model lists 96 drivers for WinXP for this modell.
    Which of these drivers do I really need?
    And are there any instructions in which order install them? Or can I download/order a cd (or cd-image) with all drivers for WinXP

As far as i know, after installing WinXP on a second partition, I need a Windows7 installation-DVD to repair the boot manager.
    Otherwise only WinXP sill start.
    My laptop came without such a DVD, there is just a recovery partition.
    Is it possible to use the recovery-system to make Win7 start again or do I really need a Win7 DVD?

Thanks in advance,
    Juergen from Germany

2. Re: Satellite Pro L500-196: Which drivers for Windows XP
    >The support page for this model lists 96 drivers for WinXP for this modell.
    >Which of these drivers do I really need?
    There is no special installation order needed…
    But I would start with common drivers like:
    Display driver, LAN driver, Wlan driver, Modem driver, Card Reader Controller, touchpad driver, etc….

The Controls driver should be installed before Controls (utility)….
    Try it simply….

>As far as i know, after installing WinXP on a second partition, I need a Windows7 installation-DVD to repair the boot manager.
    This is right…. I had the same issue with Vista and had to boot Vista DVD in order to repair the Vista boot manager

>Is it possible to use the recovery-system to make Win7 start again or do I really need a Win7 DVD?
    No because it’s not the same.
    The recovery image will format the HDD and partitions and will erase the installed Win XP.