Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Feedback sound at Satellite L450D

1. Feedback sound at Satellite L450D
    Beginner
    Just got my daughter a Satellite L450D-113.

She has suddenly experienced what I would describe as a nasty feedback sound if she turns the volume up at all while listening to any audio playback. I think it may have something to do with the mic, as it sounds as if it is switching on as the volume is turned up. Hopefully itís a case of adjusting settings, so if anyone can help it would be great if you keep your answer as simple as possible.

I am a total novice.
    Thanks, al.

2. Re: Feedback sound at Satellite L450D
    Master
    Can she hear the same noise if she uses the headphones?
    Does this happen with battery power supply only?

3. Re: Feedback sound at Satellite L450D
    Beginner
    I bought a Satellite L450D for my daughter for Xmas.
    It has the same problem.
    A kind of high pitched warbling noise through the headphone jack. Sounds the same with headphones, external laptop speakers, or plugged into the line-in on the hifi.
    But it only happens when I'm using the AC adapter for power.
    If I disconnect the AC and run on battery, then sound is perfect.
    I tried a 19v power supply from an older laptop and problem goes away, sound quality is great.
    It looks like the Toshiba power supply is the problem.
    My Toshiba power supply has a 3-pin 3-leaf-clover shape power cord connector. The other 19v power supply I tried uses 2-pin figure-8 power cord type. Not sure if the 3-pin versus 2-pin power type is significant, or whether the whole Toshiba power adapter is the problem.
    I'm going to try Toshiba tech-support and see what they say. If all else fails, I'll take it back to where I bought it and see if they'll replace it. Trouble is, I've done some digging about the internet and seems a lot of people are reporting similar problems so just exchanging it for a new one might not make any difference.

Nige.

Message was edited by: davietn 10:05 13-January-2010

Just phoned Toshiba UK tech support (01932 841600) if you don't want to use the 0844 number. Navigate thru the "choose option..." menus until you get to Tech Support for Laptops option.
    If you ring them, you need to know the serial number of your laptop from the sticker on the bottom - its the first thing they ask before they will talk to you.

They're going to send me out a replacement power supply, see if it will fix the problem.
    If this is your problem too, make sure you have the Toshiba power adapter handy as they ask you for the part-number, output amps, etc etc details. (Don't know why this is - they know what Laptop you've got from the serial number you gave them so they should already know what power adapter it uses!)

The guy I spoke to didn't have any info regarding the 3-pin versus 2-pin power cord question.

I'll update here whether it fixes the problem or not when I receive the new power adapter.

Hope this helps.
    Nige.

4. Re: Feedback sound at Satellite L450D
    Beginner
    sorted...... plugged in the head phones to check and it opened realttek hd audio manager, turned out her settings on her microphone boost was sky high, angry i missed that and bothered you guys, so thanks guys, keep up the good work. al.

5. Re: Feedback sound at Satellite L450D
    Beginner
    hope you seen my post, managed to sort this, hope it will help you out too, i have an older toshiba and had loads of bother with power supply for it, but toshiba were very helpful to sort them out and have assured this wee "common fault" is a thing of the past, thanks and good luck. al.

6. Re: Feedback sound at Satellite L450D
    Master
    Hi

Iím glad to hear that you have solved the problem! :)

I think this could be interesting for other people.

7. Re: Feedback sound at Satellite L450D
    Beginner
    Many thanks for all the emails below. They are all so terribly helpful.

When I rang the helpdesk, the man asked me to run the noise again so he could hear it. He said that he could not help unless he heard it himself. I have only had the laptop for one month. Since I had just got the noise to stop, there was not way I was going to start again! The sound is terrible and so, so very loud, and all the people in our building are getting really annoyed with me.

I will try the headphones tomorrow, when I am out in a soundproof garage. Then I will try the adaptor

But I have one further question, how do you turn off the noise once it starts. I have tried to stop the music, take out the CD, turn off the laptop and even close the lid. But the noise goes on, and even if I try to put the lid down. It probably last only about one or two minutes, but seems forever. Then it disappears, and since I am so relieved I just stay away from it!.

8. Re: Feedback sound at Satellite L450D
    Enthusiast
    just caught this thread and agree,with comments i had the same problem,and yes it was because i had the mic vol to loud,feedback the cause just like you would get if you hold a mic to close to a speaker,

9. Re: Feedback sound at Satellite L450D
    Beginner
    I had this problem and was just about to give up when I remembered tweaking.com and downloaded the repair tool. Ran the appropriate repairs which are explained in easy to understand language. It's also useful just to run the tool to clean up your pc. Anyway, all is fixed with the sound issue now as any damage of missing files are automatically repaired.

http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/windows_repair_all_in_one.html