Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite A500-134 - Recovery partition is empty

1. Satellite A500-134 - Recovery partition is empty
    Beginner
    I have a satellite A500-134, the recovery partition drive shows that it is 100% free and HDD recovery folder is shown in the D drive (the laptop comes with 2 visible partitions C and D with 232GB each). I found the recovery drive partition when I was looking at disk management in windows.

So does this mean that I can delete the recovery drive as nothing seems to be in there?

2. Re: Satellite A500-134 - Recovery partition is empty
    Master
    Hi

Why do you want to delete the Windows RE partition?
    On this partition Windows saves files to restore the computer or to fix problems.

Here is a good article about this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Recovery_Environment

3. Re: Satellite A500-134 - Recovery partition is empty
    Beginner
    Thanks for helping out, was not aware of this.I was using an XP system before this.

So is there any possible way of partitioning the hard drives because it keeps saying that it is not possible to create a new one even though I have unallocated space left.

The system came with Vista and while installing Win 7 , I changed the boot partition size to 70gb.

So now I have a 1.5gb (win RE) + 100mb(system reserved) + 70gb (C drive,boot) + 232gb(D) + 162gb(unallocated space)

So what can I do, should I just resize one of my drives to put in the 162gb

4. Re: Satellite A500-134 - Recovery partition is empty
    Beginner
    Hi all,

Checking my Windows 7, Disc Management today, I also have found that the -hidden- recovery Partition shows as being empty. Empty means that it shows a capacity of 400MB, but no used space.

Is this normal?

Since buying my Satellite A500 a month ago, haven't modified anything that could cause the recovery partition to empty/delete itself.

Only thing I did was to create the Recovery discs, first day. That operation was successful.

Funny thing is that when I use the Wndows Backup built-in utility to Image backup my system, there I can see that the System-this hidden- partition shows as being 213,6 MB.

So, the question is why it does not show in Disc management?

Also, when I take an image of this partition and mount it, in order to view it, it also shows up empty.

Is anyone else having the same issue? Is this normal, or my recovery partition has been deleted of its contents?

Thanks guys.

I appreciate your answer.
    FB.

Message was edited by: F_Bullitt

5. Re: Satellite A500-134 - Recovery partition is empty
    Master
    Hi

As mentioned, the first small hidden partition belongs to the system.
    It should contain some backup files which help to repair the OS if something would go wrong…
    This partition is created by Vista automatically… I think Win 7 does not need such partition since my notebook with Win 7 does not contain such partition.
    Maybe your notebook was preinstalled with Vista and therefore this partition was created firstly….

>So now I have a 1.5gb (win RE) + 100mb(system reserved) + 70gb (C drive,boot) + 232gb(D) + 162gb(unallocated space)

The unloaded space can be used for additional partition or you can add this space to the existing partition (D) I think you can do this in disk management.

Greets

6. Re: Satellite A500-134 - Recovery partition is empty
    Beginner
    My Satellite A500 came with Pre-installed Windows 7.

I believe that I'm not supposed to touch my System Partition. It's there for a reason.

But my questions are quite clear. Please read my post. I'm asking specific things.

thanks alot.

FB

7. Re: Satellite A500-134 - Recovery partition is empty
    Master
    > Checking my Windows 7, Disc Management today, I also have found that the -hidden- recovery Partition shows as being empty. Empty means that it shows a capacity of 400MB, but no used space.

I don’t know if its normal or not… in my case this does not appear…

I would also not recommend touching the system partitions... but if you have created the reocvery disk (Win 7 64bit) then you are on the safe side and could always recover the system if something would go wrong...