Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Re: Portege R500 - How to update BIOS on Windows 7?

1. Portege R500 - How to update BIOS on Windows 7?
    Beginner
    Hello,

I want to update the bios of my Portege R500 to the 1.6 version. It's a windows-update BIOS and when I launch it under Windows 7, I get the message:
    [Error] BIOS Update is not supported OS. Unsupported OS or service pack is installed.

I have to reinstall XP in order to update the Bios? File name is P0058v160.exe. Does anyone know if BIOS update works in Virtualisation mode? I would install Sunbox VM, install XP and run the BIOS update. But will it work?

Does anyone has an idea?

Regards,

Roro

2. Re: Portege R500 - How to update BIOS on Windows 7?
    Master
    Hi Roro,

Yes you have to install Windows XP to update the BIOS but my question is: Is this update necessary or just for fun? BIOS update is always a little bit risky and should only be done to solve problems. If your computer runs properly I wouldnít make this update.

I donít know if this update is possible on Virtual XP but I wouldnít try it. If the update fails you need a new ROM module or mainboard. I think the BIOS update isnít designed for Virtualization modeÖ

3. Re: Portege R500 - How to update BIOS on Windows 7?
    Beginner
    Hi Xardas,

Thank you for the reply, I am running BIOS version 1.5 and the actual one is 1.6. The absurd thing: the 1.6 bios is listed in the Windows 7 driver section. Sure, never touch a running system is globay right but I wanted to find out if, with the new Bios, the SD-slot would be considered as a SDHC-slot. Right now, my 32GB SDHC cannot be formatted. I did read in this forum that 8GB may run, but nothing is clearly stated.

Kind regards,

Roro

4. Re: Portege R500 - How to update BIOS on Windows 7?
    Master
    Hi

You cannot format the 32GB SHCI card because the card reader of R500 support only SDHC cards up to 8GB!
    So even you will update the BIOS, the 32GB SDHC card will not be recognized

Back to your BIOS update question;
    Since the BIOS is OS independent, the BIOS update should work using Win 7 too.
    As far as I know some Toshiba tools are needed in order to start the BIOS update.

Using Win XP you need Common Modules installed.
    Using Vista or Win 7 the VAP (value added package) should be installed.

greets

5. Re: Portege R500 - How to update BIOS on Windows 7?
    Beginner
    Hi PauPau,

Thanks for your reply. I just ordered a 8GB SDHC, will have it tomorrow.
    About the Bios Update, I do have the Value Added Package installed but the error message remains the same.

As I do not know what has been fixed from version 1.5 to 1.6 and as the system is rather stable, I will have to keep the 1.5 rather than installing XP again.

Cheers,

Roro

6. Re: Portege R500 - How to update BIOS on Windows 7?
    Master
    Hi

I think itís a good idea that you donít make the BIOS update if everything runs well. I would also do the update only if you have some problems.

If there is a changelog, you can find it on the Toshiba website but if not, there is no changelog. ;)

By the way: The supported memory cards you can find in the user manual!