Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite L500 - No recovery disc or recovery partition - How to reinstall?

1. Satellite L500 - No recovery disc or recovery partition - How to reinstall?
    Beginner
    I just purchased a brand new laptop and have realised that it didn't come with a recovery disc or a recovery partition on the hard drive.

Just wondering if my hard disc crashes how am i supposed to reinstall windows?
    The laptop i bought is a Toshiba satellite L500 and is only a few weeks old.

If anyone could help on the subject would be very much appreciated.

2. Re: Satellite L500 - No recovery disc or recovery partition - How to reinstall?
    Scholar
    Hi

Normally if I buy a new notebook or other product I read the user manual firstly. So I would recommend that you should the same before you ask different questions.

The point is that you have to create a Toshiba recovery disk yourself. Therefore start the recovery disk creator that is preinstalled on your notebook and follow the screen instructions. I recommend a high quality DVD-R medium to create this disk.

Furthermore you can reinstall Windows using the HDD recovery option. On the second partition you can find this folder that contains an image of factory settings and you can start this feature if you go in advanced boot menu and select “repair my computer”. This is not a special partition, only a folder where the image is stored.

HDD recovery procedure is the same as Toshiba recovery disk. You get back factory settings too but the recovery disk wipes the whole HDD. The HDD recovery only the first partition.

By the way: Normally you did get this message:
    +Important INFORMATION+

+your system is equipped with hard disk recovery system. if you need to repair+
    +your computer by restoring it to original factory state, you can do it directly+
    +from harddisk (press F8 when you boot your computer, choose "Repair your computer"+
    +and follow the menue instructions) or create a bootable Recovery Disc Medium for this purpose.+

+Toshiba recommends you to create Recovery Disc Medium using the "Toshiba Recovery Disc Creator" to ensure+
    +hat you are able to restore your computer to the original factory installed state, even if your computer+
    +gets seriously damaged+

3. Re: Satellite L500 - No recovery disc or recovery partition - How to reinstall?
    Master
    >Just wondering if my hard disc crashes how am i supposed to reinstall windows?
    If you would take a look into the user manual you would safe a lot of time ;)

Use the Toshiba recovery disk creator software in order to create an recovery disk…
    If something will go wrong with the HDD then you can restore the OS always using the recovery disk ;)