Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Toshiba Journe air801 problems

1. Toshiba Journe air801 problems
    Beginner
    Hi,
    I received a Journe air801 photo frame for Christmas and am having major problems with it.
    I checked it out initially before reading any instructions by simply inserting my SD card from my camera and it seemed to work ok for a simple slide show.

Today I thought I'd look at it properly and check out what was on the CD Rom supplied.
    Of two pdf files one comes out with a corruption fault.
    I installed the WIFI Wizard software ok, but more on that later.
    When installing the sub view utility software my PC (Windows XP SP3) told me the software was not approved for use with Windows but I pressed on (the softward told me it needed SP2 or later and I was on 3 so it gives confidence) and it subsequently crashed my PC. I had to restart in safe mode and go to an old system restore point because it simply would not start up otherwise.
    Not good so far.

One thing I noticed on the photoframe was that on start up it looks for the SD card then for flickr etc accounts (which I don't have), suggesting press cancel to stop this action. Unfortunately there is no apparent cancel button on the front of the machine and none mentioned in the instructions either. I did a word search on the pdf manual and it did not find any explanation of a cancel button either. Not good again.

I went into the settings on screen and changed on for auto light and turned that on. That's the only change I made.
    I tried the WIFI Wizard on the screen but the screen / interface set up is far from intuitive (i could not work out which buttons to press to enter details) and so I tried the WIFI Wizard on the disk instead. That seemed easier but I could not get it wo work properly

The WIFI Wizard seems easy at first but its a completely non standard interface and no help facility. I could not recall which wireless encription I had other than WPA so got a little stuck there and am currently unsure as to whether i've entered the right one. But when entering details it asks for 'input' and 'confirm' with 8-63 characters but gives no clue as to what this required input means. I tried my router security password but am not sure if that was what is was wanting or not. On the next screen there is a lock symbol but what is being locked in not clear.

Apart form the worst instructiions and the worst interface I've ever seen, my problem is that the screen now starts up, I see a single photograph of mine on its internal memory, it then starts to look for something on the internet and (and all within about 4 seconds) the screen then goes black. I can press the buttons on the4 front and they light up but nothing on the screen . I've reset it numerous times to no avail other than repeating the cycle. I can't get it to do anything, whether plugged into the PC or not. Help please, becasue this is just junk at the moment. I suspect its locked into a cycle of trying to connect wirelessly but I cant get it to stop it or break free,

Paul

2. Re: Toshiba Journe air801 problems
    Beginner
    No replies yet but I noticed from leaving the photo frame turned on for a while that it made a sound fron a video i nthe memory, sugesting its working. But the screen remains completely black. So, i'm wondering if its this screen auto light feature that is broken. Where's the sensor? How could I turn it back on if I can't see the screen?

Paul