Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Tecra A9 and BIOS update - No sound with Win 7

1. Tecra A9 and BIOS update - No sound with Win 7
    Beginner
    Hi,

I installed Windows 7 of an Tecra A9 Laptop and everything works fine except the sound. The sound card driver for Windows 7 is already installed. The Speakers as well as the microphone is detected. While playing music, under sound devices the green bar beneath the speakers raises up and down but I can not hear anything.

I read that the BIOS update may help but it do not work under Windows 7 or with a Windows XP Live CD or in Windows XP Mode for Windows 7.

I do not want to reinstall Windows XP.

Do anybody know how to get the sound working correctly?

2. Re: Tecra A9 and BIOS update
    Master
    Have you checked it with headphones?
    Have you noticed the same?

To be honest I don't believe BIOS will change something about that. If the sound driver is installed properly check all sound settings in Windows and also in Realtek Audio Manager.

3. Re: Tecra A9 and BIOS update
    Beginner
    Even with headphones, I had no sound.
    I already checked all sound settings serveral times, nothing is muted and all is as loud as possible.

I can't install the BIOS update because I installed WIndows 7 before. Thus, I don't know if it would work. However, it is the only solution I found and maybe it works.

Is there no other way to update the BIOS? I mean I can start the BIOS update(P0054v210.exe), the extraction of the files works but after that I got the message: 'The Computer is not supported'. I noticed that there are Laptop models for which other procedures for updating the BIOS exists. Could anyone of them also work for Tecra A9?

Has anybody an idea what the cause of the sound problem could be?

Thanks.

4. Re: Tecra A9 and BIOS update
    Beginner
    Hello,

if you press FN+ESC is it possible to set the Computer into a mute mode? appears a smart card when you push this hotkey? If not, you have to install the value added package (maybe again)...because the TVALD service is not running.

Maybe this will fix the problem.

5. Re: Tecra A9 and BIOS update
    Beginner
    Hi,

after installing the value added package, I can set the computer into mute mode with FN+ESC. But I'm not sure what you mean with smart card. If I press FN+ESC a message appear saying sound on/off.

But I have still the same problem: There is no sound.

6. Re: Tecra A9 and BIOS update
    Beginner
    sorry...i meant a "flash card" or any kind of symbol/Icon which appears on the screen to give you an information about the Hotkey status

so. it seems that the tvap works now. did you test the sound in different applications and with windows notifications?

7. Re: Tecra A9 and BIOS update
    Master
    Hey buddy

> I installed Windows 7 of an Tecra A9 Laptop and everything works fine except the sound.
    You donít need the BIOS update because this will not solve the sound issue.

I think youíve got the same issue like described here:
    http://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/kb0/TSB7C021B0001R01.htm

I read in the forum that the same can happen with Win 7!

So check the tool attached to this document and check if this will help you!

8. Re: Tecra A9 and BIOS update
    Beginner
    Thank you the sound works now perfectly. I'm immensely grateful.