Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite L500/013 - How to make dual boot of Windows 7 and XP?

1. Satellite L500/013 - How to make dual boot of Windows 7 and XP?
    Beginner
    Hi

I just bougth my first Toshiba laptop, it comes with Windows 7 Professional pre-installed. Before I start spending hours on this, I am just wondering if this can be done:

1) I would like to use the Windows 7 Professional in 64 bit mode and then

2) Create second partition on HD to install Windows XP 32 bit on it.

Just wondering about if this is possible and what is the recommended sequence for the install is. First thing I need to do is to create recovery disk for Windows 7, so I assume I need to configure Windows 7 first?

Thanks for any help
    Thomas

2. Re: Satellite L500/013 - How to make dual boot of Windows 7 and XP?
    Master
    > First thing I need to do is to create recovery disk for Windows 7, so I assume I need to configure Windows 7 first?
    Well, this is strongly recommended!!! Before you would do anything with your HDD you should create the recovery disk!!!

Iím not quite sure how you could set up an dual boot using Win 7 because I didnít try this but I did it using Vista.
    First of all you have to create an second partition in Vista. This could be done in Disk Management.
    Then I installed Win XP on the second partition. But after the XP installation I could not start Vista because Vista boot manager was damage by Win XP.
    To fix this I have used a original Vista disk (not recovery disk). I booted the Vista DVD and this has repaired the Vista boot manager. In Vista I have installed EasyBCD.
    EsayBCD is a small tool which helped to add the Win XP to the Vistaís boot manager.
    After new reboot Vista and Win XP appeared in the boot manager and I could choose between both OS.

I think you will need the same procedure using Win 7

3. Re: Satellite L500/013 - How to make dual boot of Windows 7 and XP?
    Beginner
    Thanks for the reply I will try this over the Christmas/NY year and post a reply how it worked.