Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Creating Win 7 64bit Recovery Disc for Satellite L500-19x?

1. Creating Win 7 64bit Recovery Disc for Satellite L500-19x?
    Beginner
    My new Satellite L500 - 19X came pre-installed with Win 7 - 64 bit version.
    Also included was a "Product Recovery Win 7 32 bit" disc

Within the packaging was a leaflet saying:

"If you plan to use the 64-bit version at a later stage, please create a _recovery medium_ prior to installing 32-bit Windows 7"

It then cautions me to create a "64 bit recovery medium.....ordering a 64-bit recovery medium is not free of charge"

The manual goes on at length about "_System Recovery Options_" As instructed in the manual I have made a "Repair Disc Windows 7 64-bit" Am I correct in saying that I do not or cannot have an actual Win 7 64-bit disc?

The leaflet says "a backup copy (of the Win 7 64-bit) is stored on the hard disk drive as a _recovery image_" So is this the actual Win 7-64-bit complete disc that I am after, and if so how do I get it?

The Toshiba documentation is not clear, and I believe rather contradicts itself?

I am confused! Anyone understand what's going on?

JohnF.

2. Re: Creating Win 7 64bit Recovery Disc for Satellite L500-19x?
    Master
    Hi

As I understand you have received the Notebook with preinstalled Win 7 64bit OS.
    But you didn’t get the Win 7 64bit recovery disk but you have a Win 7 32bit recovery disk. Is it right?

Well mate… the case is that the usage of the Recovery disk will format the full HDD and will erase everything from HDD. This means that you will lose the preinstalled Win 7 64bit OS.
    So if you would not create the Win 7 64bit recovery disk BEFORE using the Win 7 32bit recovery disk then you will not be able to go back to 64bit version.

Therefore create the Win 7 64bit recovery disk at the beginning. Then you are safe and can install Win 32bit and 64bit whenever you want.

3. Re: Creating Win 7 64bit Recovery Disc for Satellite L500-19x?
    Beginner
    That's correct. Perhaps I haven't made my self clear

So then, is the recovery disc I have already made, the Win 7 64bit recovery disk you refer too?

So where _is_ the other back up copy image of Win 4/64 that Toshiba tellme I have? The cd I made does not have many files on, so I don't think that's the image.

JohnF

4. Re: Creating Win 7 64bit Recovery Disc for Satellite L500-19x?
    > So then, is the recovery disc I have already made, the Win 7 64bit recovery disk you refer too?
    Usually you can choose between the 32bit OS or 64bit OS during the recovery process.
    So I assume the recovery disk would contain the 64bit as well. The Toshiba recovery disk creator creates the recovery disk using the files stored on the HDD recovery partition

Your notebook supports an HDD recovery too. You can recover the unit without using the recovery disk by pressing F8. Then choosing repair my computer and then choosing Toshiba HDD recovery.
    This procedure would start the OS installation and as far as I know you could choose between 64bit and 32bit.

>So where is the other back up copy image of Win 4/64 that Toshiba tellme I have?
    Sorry but I don’t know what you mean by other backup…

5. Re: Creating Win 7 64bit Recovery Disc for Satellite L500-19x?
    Beginner
    My confusion is because I don't understand what "recovery disc" means?!

On the "Dear Customer" flyer entitled "+Choosing your Windows 7 Architecture+" that came with the machine it states:-

"+A backup copy of the system (64 bit version) is stored on the hard disk drive as a recovery image+" This is what I don't understand, as I have already made a "+repair disc Win 7 64-bi+t" as well as having the "+Product recovery Win 7 - 32-bit" cd+" This cd seems to be the complete Windows disc, unless I am mistaken.

I guess what I am getting at is do I have complete Win 7 - 64-bit in case of total failure of the machine ? (I am asking the question because you often used to get a full Windows disc with a new computer in the old days)

Does this make it any clearer? Thanks for everyone's help

JohnF

6. Re: Creating Win 7 64bit Recovery Disc for Satellite L500-19x?
    Hi

Recovery disk means the disk (DVD) which includes the image.
    Image is a package which contains the Windows OS (win 7 64bit, 32bit whatever), Toshiba drivers, tools and utilities.
    You didn’t create an “repair disk” but you have created the Recovery disk!

As spoken in the post above, this disk contains the Win 7 64bit…
    The Win 7 32bit should be placed on the other disk (Product recovery Win 7 - 32-bit" cd) which was delivered with the notebook.