Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Portege A100 PPA10A - Will BIOS update allow to boot from a USB device

1. Portege A100 PPA10A - Will BIOS update allow to boot from a USB device
    Beginner
    Hi,

I have an Old Portege A100, Model: PPA10A-0002LP, but I can't seem to find that model on any Toshiba website, closest I've seen is the " PPA10A-0002L".

I'm wanting to see if there's a BIOS update that will allow me to Boot from a USB Device.

The issue I am having is that I need to reinstall Windows, but the CD ROm cant read discs.
    It does Network Booting PXE, but i'm new to this sort of thing and have absolutly no idea what to do there.

Any help would be great,

Thanks

2. Re: Portege A100 PPA10A - Will BIOS update allow to boot from a USB device
    Master
    Hi

Portege A100 seems to be developed only for Australian market.
    As you said there is a Portege A100 PPA10A-0002L model number listed on the Toshiba Australian page but the Portege A100 PPA10A-0002LP belongs to the same series which is PPA10A.
    So in my opinion the BIOS should work too.

Anyway, I doubt that the BIOS update will add any further booting options.

Usually the BIOS support the booting from CD/DVD drive, HDD, LAN and USB FDD.
    It should be possible to boot from a bootable diskette using an USB FDD drive.
    I doubt you would be able to boot from USB ODD since this Portege A100 supports an internal CD/DVD drive.