Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite P300-1GL - How to make a HDD recovery file?

1. Satellite P300-1GL - How to make a HDD recovery file?
    Beginner
    Hi, (I'm french, well, sorry for english grammary mistakes)

When I bought my computer last year, I couldn't create a Recovery disc, I tried so many DVD, but ther was everytime an error in the end ! :s I gave up hooping I'll never need it...
    Hem hem, now I would like to (reformater ?) reboot my computer to make it clear in all my HD, programs, docs and else...
    I bought Yesterday an external HD (1To) and I would like to create the famous recovery file in my new product...

Is it possible ? How can I do that ?

2. Re: Satellite P300-1GL - How to make a HDD recovery file?
    Scholar
    Hi

You can use the Toshiba recovery disk creator to create a Toshiba recovery disk. This disk contains an image of “factory settings” from the notebook. That means the same settings as you have started the notebook the first time. Just boot from the disk and follow the screen instructions – That’s all! But this disk contains only Windows, drivers and tools from Toshiba. No programs or others that you have installed by yourself. I would recommend trying again to create this disk. I can recommend Verbatim DVD-R disks for this.

If you want an image about your current state with all settings, documents, etc. you have to use a special image software like Acronis True Image or Norton Ghost.

3. Re: Satellite P300-1GL - How to make a HDD recovery file?
    Beginner
    Ok, I'll try to create a new recovery DVD... But if it doesn't work again.... Can I create a recovery hard disk (external) ?
    And, don't worry, I don't want to create an image from now, but from the begining of the computer... My docs and programs are already saved in the famous external hard disk.

4. Re: Satellite P300-1GL - How to make a HDD recovery file?
    Master
    >Can I create a recovery hard disk (external)?
    No, this will not work. HDD image is designed to be used from second partition only and only with factory settings.
    If you install own OS you will lose F8 option “Repair my computer”.

5. Re: Satellite P300-1GL - How to make a HDD recovery file?
    Beginner
    Sure, I don't want to install my own OS, but create the famous recovery image in the External Hard Disk... If it's not possible to do that, how can I recover my computer without DVD ? My computer can't burn the recovery disk, it failed at 98%...
    I asked some friends, they told me to load all the default program in the external hard disk, reconfigure the BIOS as swithcing on with the USB port, and reboot the computer with the EHD linked in the famous USB port... Is it real ?
    I'm not realy abble at computer... help me !

6. Re: Satellite P300-1GL - How to make a HDD recovery file?
    Master
    Hi

In my opinion before you something do you should create the Toshiba recovery disk! If you do something wrong and you don’t have such a recovery disk you have to pay for a new one. So as Boarder suggested try high quality mediums like Verbatim DVD-R (not DVD+R) and check the Toshiba page for a firmware update of CD/DVD drive!!!

You can’t create a recovery hard disk as you wrote. You can only use the HDD recovery option. This is the same as recovery disk but only the first partition will be erased.
    The user manual contains interesting informatios about this.

7. Re: Satellite P300-1GL - How to make a HDD recovery file?
    Beginner
    OK, now I'm sure my external hard disk is unable to do that. Thanks.

But the problem is that my computer realy can't burn this DVD.. The best quality or the worst, it's always the same : error at 98%... I killed some 7 DVD doing that.
    Where can I have this disk ? Can I have a guaranty or something like that because it's not my fault...?

8. Re: Satellite P300-1GL - How to make a HDD recovery file?
    Scholar
    It is really strange. On my Satellite p300 it worked perfectly with TDK DVD-R media.
    Whole time you repeat about 98% error but you didn't confirm us that DVD-R doesn’t work too.

Try to clarify this with nearest authorized service provider. If they can confirm your notebook cannot create this disc I believe you will get it for free.
    Other way you can order it under https://backupmedia.toshiba.eu/landing.aspx

9. Re: Satellite P300-1GL - How to make a HDD recovery file?
    Beginner
    Hey yes !!! I forgot I can ask to my shop !!! Thanks ! I hope they'll help me to reboot my computer. Thanks.