Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite A100-529 - Question about upgrading CPU

1. Satellite A100-529 - Question about upgrading CPU
    Beginner
    Hi.

I have notebook Toshiba Satellite A100-529 and I want to change my Celeron M 380 for something better but I don't know what CPU can I insert to this computer.

When I was looking for similar models I only found same CPU with same chipset. I know how disassemble my Toshiba and change CPU, I have also the newest BIOS.

More technical information is in links with screenshots.
    What the best CPU I can use in this computer?

Thanks a lot.

[Screenshots|http://img694.imageshack.us/g/cpuzc.jpg/]

2. Re: Satellite A100-529 - Question about upgrading CPU
    Akuma
    What is the model number of your A100? If you have a PSAA9E, look at the other PSAA9E-xxxxxx models and choose one of those CPU's.

Installing other CPU's may cause overheating, instability, or simply wont boot.

3. Re: Satellite A100-529 - Question about upgrading CPU
    Master
    Hi

As Akuma already wrote you can choose a CPU from other models. Look on the bottom side to identify your model number.

But don’t forget that CPU upgrade is risky. Nobody has tested this CPU before in your notebook and my cause overheating or something else. This upgrade is official not supported: http://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/kb0/TSB9401AX0001R01.htm

4. Re: Satellite A100-529 - Question about upgrading CPU
    Beginner
    My model is PSAA2E-01J011PL. I don't know where I can show list with others PSAA2E, but I saw only 2 other models with this name and they only have a Celeron. What I can do?

PS: Yesterday I changed standard power button in my Toshiba to power button with media keys (from similar model) and it works. I also have now harman/kardon speakers. ;) I can't understand why my notebook don't have a MiniPCI slot, but cover and space for it are. I must use WLAN USB. Can I or unoffical Toshiba service somehow solder slot to the mainboard?

Sorry for my English - I'm Pole.
    Thanks a lot.

5. Re: Satellite A100-529 - Question about upgrading CPU
    Master
    >Can I or unoffical Toshiba service somehow solder slot to the mainboard?
    I doubt this is possible…
    I mean there is much more needed as only an miniPCI slot… the whole motherboard configuration (controller, BIOS, etc...) would be muddled up…. So simply said: forget it.

Regarding the CPU upgrade:
    >I don't know where I can show list with others PSAA2E
    How about google???? This would be the easiest way to get info about other A100 models.

But generally speaking the CPU upgrade is tricky and not always possibly as stated in the Toshiba FAQ doc.
    The BIOS might not be fully compatible.
    So even your Intel chipset would support the new CPU, you cannot be 100% sure that your unit will run stable after a CPU upgrade.