Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: How to reinstall Win2k on a Portege 7200?

1. How to reinstall Win2k on a Portege 7200?
    Beginner
    I have an old Portege 7200 which has to be re-installed. I do not have any docking station but an USB-connected CD-ROM and a (Toshiba) separate diskette-reader.

How do i proceed to reinstall WIndows 2000? I have the OS on a CD and all necessary drivers on CDs.
    The 7200 will not to boot from the CD.

2. Re: How to reinstall Win2k on a Portege 7200?
    Beginner
    there are two ways :

what you need are generic DOS-drivers for your USB-CDrom ; maybe you can find them at the website of the manufacturor
    then start-up from your floppy-drive with a proper DOS-bootdisk with the appropiate drivers for your CDrom-drive,
    ... first repartitionate and reformat your HD to *fat32* ( using fdisk en format on your DOS-disk )

... then find your USB-CDrom, go to the W2000 installation-disk and find the "i386" directory, then start the DOS-installation with the command "winnt"
    during the installation you can convert to NTFS, if you use a HD of more than 2 gb.

If you cann't find the DOS-drivers for your USB-drive, the best thing is to take out the 2,5" HD, use a USB-2,5"HD-converter, reformat it to *fat32* with another PC and make it bootable by copying a simple OS ( DOS-6 or 7 ) to it
    Then copy the whole "i386" directory from the W2000 installation CD to the HD, reinstall the HD in your 7200
    After booting up do the same as described above :
    cd i386
    winnt

more details you can find in the following threads :

[t-19232]
    [t-23921]

+PS : some ..??.. deleted my login as kjo, therefore I had to make a new account+

3. Re: How to reinstall Win2k on a Portege 7200?
    Beginner
    Thanks, I will try that!