Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: On-line discharging of battery (A30-514 model)

1. On-line discharging of battery (A30-514 model)
    Beginner
    I am having problems with my A30-514. Even when the AC power supply is plugged in and the notetop seems to be running of AC power, the battery discharges itself and eventually the power level gets so low that the notebook shuts down.

It seems like the notebook is being controlled by the battery power not the AC power. I am currently using the notebook without the battery inserted - i.e. on AC only and it's absolutely fine.

I am no longer under warranty so please don't just suggest I go to a service partner !

Do I need a new battery ? Or is there a hardware defect ?

Many thanks.

2. Re: On-line discharging of battery (A30-514 model)
    Hi

Are you really sure that when the machine is running on both AC (DC actually) and the battery is inserted, it discharges the battery?
    How can You tell? Do You monitor the power-level in the battery and can see it go down (just like when running on just battery)?
    If so, I believe that it will not improve with a new battery. Normally on a Toshiba machine, even if the battery is in any way defective (exclusive pure short-cuircuts) the machine will work fine from the AC Adaptor, charging or just ignoring a defective battery.

BR

Tom

3. Re: On-line discharging of battery (A30-514 model)
    Beginner
    Hi Tom.

Thanks for your reply !

> Are you really sure that when the machine is running
    > on both AC (DC actually) and the battery is inserted,
    > it discharges the battery?
    > How can You tell? Do You monitor the power-level in
    > the battery and can see it go down (just like when
    > running on just battery)?

Yes... exactly. Whilst it seems to be running on DC, the Power Management Utility shows that the battery is discharging itself. When it reaches 0%, the notebook then shuts down.

> If so, I believe that it will not improve with a new
    > battery. Normally on a Toshiba machine, even if the
    > battery is in any way defective (exclusive pure
    > short-cuircuts) the machine will work fine from the
    > AC Adaptor, charging or just ignoring a defective
    > battery.

I thought as much. The notebook works fine without a battery installed. And when installed, the battery doesn't always discharge - like right now it is actually charging ! So 50% of the time it's fine.

Does this mean there is a problem on the motherboard ?

Thanks

Message was edited by: Rich Johnson

4. Re: On-line discharging of battery (A30-514 model)
    Hi Rich

I cannot say 100% but before giving up, check that your AC Adaptor meets the requirements of the PC. Look at how many Amperes it can deliver and compare with how many Amperes (abbreviation A or mA) the computer requires (not Volts (abbreviation V)!!! Do not mix them up - that could end up in total malfunction of your PC).

A higher number on the AC Adaptor than the PC is ok, same is ok. Lower is bad. In such a case it could generate really strange results, possibly the ones you experience.

good luck

Tom

5. Re: On-line discharging of battery (A30-514 model)
    Master
    Hi Rich,

I have a similar problem with my A30-141. I have found by experimentation that this situation arises because of a temorary interruption to the mains power supply from the adapter. In my case the interruption is caused by a loose fitting power socket on the back of the notebook.

The effect of this is to cause the power system to switch to battery even though the mains is connected (and shows the LED on the front of the notebook). The only way I can correct this is to reboot the notebook.

I now clamp the lead from the AC adapter to the back of the notebook in order to prevent any movement of the power plug in its socket.

HTH

6. Re: On-line discharging of battery (A30-514 model)
    Beginner
    Thanks for all your help guys...

Nicky - this is exactly the problem I have I think. That's a relief to know it's not a motherboard problem or a battery problem.

Is it easy to fix or does it need an "expert" ?

Rich

7. Re: On-line discharging of battery (A30-514 model)
    Master
    HI Rich,

Unfortunately this is not an 'easy' problem to fix. I am assuning that your power connector is similar to mine (a socket with a central contact pin).

I found that the central pin is not a particularly tight fit in the connector on the AC cord. This allows the connector to wobble slightly if the notebook is moved or the power cord disturbed. When this happens all the lights on my A30 flash on temporarily (about half a second) and then the power and battery lights come back on as normal. However the notebook will now be running on battery not AC even though the AC light is on.

I considered slightly bending the central pin in the socket on the notebook but don't want to risk damaging or breaking it (it is part of the motherboard).

As I said in my earlier post I now clamp the AC cord to the back of the notebook to prevent the power cord from moving. This is quite successful and I now rarely get the problem.

I have read several posts from people querying loose power connectors and I do feel this is a poorly designed connector when compared to those used by another notebook producers who use a more robust block connector.

HTH

[Edited by: admin on 22-Jun-05 12:10]