Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite L500 telling me it isn't supported for windows 7 upgrade

1. Satellite L500 telling me it isn't supported for windows 7 upgrade
    Beginner
    I received my copy of the win7 upgrade today. having gone to install it, once it checks what type of computer i have, it tells me it isn't supported. clearly it is, otherwise i wouldn't have been able to order it to begin with.... anyone have any suggestions for me?

when i look at the properties of my computer, it just lists the model name as 'Toshiba Notebook', i figure this may have something to do with it, but i have no idea how to fix it

can anyone help?

2. Re: Satellite L500 telling me it isn't supported for windows 7 upgrade
    Beginner
    hello,

I have a sattlite l500-128 laptop and im running windows 7 without any problem it detects al hardware automatic!
    Can you start an clean installation? or is it not possible with a upgrade of windows 7?

which laptop do you have l500-*** ?

3. Re: Satellite L500 telling me it isn't supported for windows 7 upgrade
    Beginner
    the sticker on the base of the laptop just says L500. the label on the box says L500/01V if that means anything.

4. Re: Satellite L500 telling me it isn't supported for windows 7 upgrade
    Beginner
    I'm getting the same error. I checked the list of compatible products. My laptop is on there.

Why is it doing this? Can anyone help?

5. Re: Satellite L500 telling me it isn't supported for windows 7 upgrade
    Beginner
    Hello,

have you tried to install from boot? or only when you are running vista?,install from usb?

grtz, Dennis

6. Re: Satellite L500 telling me it isn't supported for windows 7 upgrade
    Beginner
    it gives me the option to do a 'clean install.'

But I would like to avoid doing that where possible.

Would I be safer just doing the Clean install?

7. Re: Satellite L500 telling me it isn't supported for windows 7 upgrade
    Beginner
    Hello,

Windows 7 clean Installation is mutch bether and take not so long.

Only you need to take a usb or external HD and put all the files you want to save on it.

You need to format your C: Mebay D: but not your back-uP!

Grtz,

Dennis

8. Re: Satellite L500 telling me it isn't supported for windows 7 upgrade
    Mikey
    I have a brand new Satellite L500V and am having exactly the same problem. I don't want to do a clean install and would really appreciate some help!

Windows 7 advisor tells me that my laptop is compatible and the Toshiba helpline checked the serial number and said it was compatible when I ordered the upgrade disc.

9. Re: Satellite L500 telling me it isn't supported for windows 7 upgrade
    Beginner
    I've also got this problem with the dialogue "Your system is not applicable to upgrade." The sticker on the laptop packaging says Satellite L500 PSLJ3A-01V015. Let's not have to do a clean install, fingers crossed.

10. Re: Satellite L500 telling me it isn't supported for windows 7 upgrade
    Beginner
    hello,

i dont know this strange problem. It think the easyst way is to call de support help desk.
    Mebay they have a tool, to fix this problem.

(I think they have made a huge mistake with the laptop productnumbers. Or the send the wrong version!)

Grtz

11. Re: Satellite L500 telling me it isn't supported for windows 7 upgrade
    Mikey
    Update for anyone else with the problem - I have just spoken to the Toshiba helpdesk who indicated that it is a problem at their end. They are working on a fix at the moment.

12. Re: Satellite L500 telling me it isn't supported for windows 7 upgrade
    Beginner
    I don't see a problem here guys, a clean install is always better. Your sistem will run much smoother.

13. Re: Satellite L500 telling me it isn't supported for windows 7 upgrade
    Fisher
    hi, i have the same problem aswell, so when you spoke to the support desk did they say when they would have a fix? and if they would notify us when it would be ready?

14. Re: Satellite L500 telling me it isn't supported for windows 7 upgrade
    Beginner
    L500D, same issue, fails when checking Windows 7 component list,
    I will not consider doing a clean install
    (I have over 12G of WoW files and cannot afford the time or the external hard disk to do a backup and reinstall)

15. Re: Satellite L500 telling me it isn't supported for windows 7 upgrade
    Beginner
    Any word about a fix on this? I am having the same issue after receiving my upgrade disc in the mail the other day. I really would like to avoid a clean install also as I have JUST received my laptop back from Toshiba due to a hard drive fault in which I had to recover all my files and install everything anew. So I really would like to avoid doing that twice in as many weeks!

16. Re: Satellite L500 telling me it isn't supported for Windows 7 upgrade
    Beginner
    Same problem.

Any one know how / when this will be done?

You'd think they'd check this before they send you the software. Want to try to avoid clean install if possible.

17. Re: Satellite L500 telling me it isn't supported for windows 7 upgrade
    Beginner
    I too have a problem with the L500-OIV. I can't believe Toshiba can allow a product to be continually sold (as of yesterday at Harvey Norman) without the customer being made aware of the problem. I have rang Toshiba & was told they were aware of this & were conferring with Toshiba Japan for a fix. What I would like to know is how long is it going to take for this to be rectified ! Seems to me that this could be a Consumers Affairs case with the product not doing what it is purported to be sold as.

18. Re: Satellite L500 telling me it isn't supported for windows 7 upgrade
    Beginner
    Hi for all those people in this post with a Satalite L500.
    I have just contacted toshiba about the issuse posted above and they have taken my serial number and contact details and they will contact me when the issue is resolved. I urgee everyone to contact them and hopefully they will add you to the list to be contacted when the issue is fixed and teh up grader works.

They did also say that the toshiba upgrade assistant will be fixed in 5-10 days roughly btu id give it more time seeing as i was on hlod for 20mins or more.

If you dont want to contat them try the updater again from the web in a week or more.

Just like to add one more thing that even though this has been a problem over all the laptop has be great.

19. Re: Satellite L500 telling me it isn't supported for windows 7 upgrade
    Beginner
    Looks like this may be resolved - just received this e-mail from Toshiba;

`Dear Toshiba Customer,

Thank you for contacting Toshiba in relation to the Windows 7 upgrade program.

The issue you have reported to us has now been resolved.¬* We do appreciate your patience in this regard

Please follow the instructions provided with the upgrade discs to carry out your Windows 7 upgrade installation.¬*Note that it is recommended to create a set of recovery discs for Windows Vista as a backup option¬*prior to¬*proceeding with the Windows 7 upgrade.¬*This can be¬*done through the recovery disk creator program located on your desktop. Alternatively you can click on "Start" and "Start Search" and type in the word¬*recovery. This will provide the option to click on Recovery disc creator located at the top of the list. Please remember to store your Windows upgrade discs and license key sticker located on the¬*Windows 7¬*disc¬*case¬*in a safe location as unfortunately these cannot be replaced by Toshiba if it is lost.`

Haven`t tried it yet but, hopefully, it will work.