Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Instructions on how to replace a keyboard on a Portege M800

1. Instructions on how to replace a keyboard on a Portege M800
    Beginner
    Hi,

I messed up my original keyboard by flooding with water and then by hairdrying it to the point where a couple keys melted.
    I know it is a stupid thing to do. But, what can I say ....

I attempted to ask an official technical center to fix it, only a few keys were not responding. Everything else works fine.
    Without really looking in detail, they wanted to change the whole motherboard and a number of other parts for a price nearing that of the laptop itself.

So I bought a new keyboard on eBay. However, I am lacking instructions on how to replace it.
    On the net, I found instructions for older Portege versions and couldn't find any for the M800.
    Can anyone, please, help ?

Cheers,

/Numidic

2. Re: Instructions on how to replace a keyboard on a Portege M800
    Master
    Hi

I think you will not find detailed instructions how to disassemble a Portege M800. All what you can download is the user manual and technical manuals are not for public, I think they are only available for ASPís.

Anyway, as far as I know you have to remove the keyboard holder and two screws they are securing the keyboard. Then you can remove it.

But to be honest I would recommend contacting a notebook technician for help. Notebook disassembling isnít easy, itís a little bit tricky and you have to remove a lot of screws. So you are on the safely side because M800 is pretty new notebook. ;)

3. Re: Instructions on how to replace a keyboard on a Portege M800
    Beginner
    Hi PinkPanther,

Thanks for your swift answer.
    If only I knew which screws are holding the keyboard....
    I unscrewed all of them that are apparent, to no avail !
    I put them back all. I guess I gonna have to wait until the M800 will be an old version .... :(

Thanks again, cheers,

/Numidic

4. Re: Instructions on how to replace a keyboard on a Portege M800
    Master
    Hey buddy,

I must agree with PinkPanther. This notebook is pretty new and if you donít have experience with notebook disassembling you should go to an authorized service provider. The technicians can exchange the keyboard for you and this should take only few minutes.

You must understand that notebook disassembling is complicated and not easy as on desktop computers. So it should only be done from authorized people.

5. Re: Instructions on how to replace a keyboard on a Portege M800
    Beginner
    See this the www.irisvista.com page and Satellite-U405D ;)

Edited