Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite A300-1G5: webcam stopped working - Webcam driver open fail

1. Satellite A300-1G5: webcam stopped working - Webcam driver open fail
    Beginner
    Hi

my laptop specifcation here : ( [A300 - 1G5|http://eu.computers.toshiba-europe.com/innovation/jsp/SUPPORTSECTION/discontinuedProductPage.do?service=EU&com.broadvis ion.session.new=Yes&PRODUCT_ID=1055589] ) for any needed details ..

The problem simply is, the webcam stopped working for some reason, an error messeage says "Webcam driver open fail. Please restart camera or computer".

I noticed that whenever I put the computer in sleep mode I was getting on the icon tray a notification says "USB device unrecognized"... I wasnt aware what it was - thought it becasue of the USB mouse being plugged... but I think its related to the camera...

software is installed but camera is not working and cant enable it .. I did download the latest driver from toshiba site , but still not working ...

Currently my laptop runs Vista HP SP2 32-bit, Windows defender enabled, Windows Firewall Enabled, Windows UAC enabled, Kaspersky Ani-Virus 2009 Enabled. I only use Windows Live Messenger (which up to date I think , version : 14.0.8089.726) which i used camera with, I quite using face recognition long time ago and rarely use the webcam ... I didnt install or update any drivers and used to have the laptop running perfectly..

So what happened now ?!

2. Re: Satellite A300-1G5: webcam stopped working - Webcam driver open fail
    Hi

I have had a similar error message and could solve this by disabling the webcam software from startup.
    In msconfig -> Start Up tab I have unchecked the Chicony webcam software.
    This prevents it from automatic loading.
    I donít use MSN but Skype and the Chicony webcam software is always disabled (not executed) if Skype is running.

Maybe you should try this too.

Furthermore you could try this:
    Go to device manager, mark the webcam (imaging devices Ė USB video device) and deleted it from the device list.
    Then reboot the notebook and wait until the webcam has been recognized again.

Then test it.

3. Re: Satellite A300-1G5: webcam stopped working - Webcam driver open fail
    Beginner
    hmm , actually Im used to have the software disabled at the start up .... so ??

going to the device manager I dont find the webcam there , nope , all i can find is normal devices except ONE ! on Universal Serial Bus controllers tree I find one branch says " Unknown device " , I guess this one is the webcam and its not recognized by the windows for some reason ...

how to fix it ?

4. Re: Satellite A300-1G5: webcam stopped working - Webcam driver open fail
    Beginner
    tough problem , ehh ?

5. Re: Satellite A300-1G5: webcam stopped working - Webcam driver open fail
    Master
    Hello

I have Satellite P200 and new Satellite A300. I have done the same as MisterX.
    After installing Vista with Toshiba recovery DVD (hardware is properly installed) I have disabled cam software and I can use cam with any other messenger. I use it daily with Skype and MSN.
    No problems at all.

So your issue I would not define as problem. You can try to do the same. make clean OS installation and do the same.

How do you use the cam?

6. Re: Satellite A300-1G5: webcam stopped working - Webcam driver open fail
    Beginner
    u dont do clean os installation each time u have driver problem ... this is not an option anyway for this time .. any advanced ideas for this issue ?

7. Re: Satellite A300-1G5: webcam stopped working - Webcam driver open fail
    check if your os sends the usb-devices to sleep,
    check in safe mode (starting os with f8 pressed)
    if there is a camera or unknown device on usb in device manager - deinstall all cameras/unknown devices.
    after reboot reinstall camera software (download driver at toshibas website maybe theres a newer version).
    this should work for you.
    got same problem on a other brand machine with that internal usb-cam - after deinstalling all devices in safe mode related to a camera this problem was gone.
    give it a try!