Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite A300-20P - How to restore from Toshiba recovery?

1. Satellite A300-20P - How to restore from Toshiba recovery?
    Beginner
    Hi ..

my friend has this laptop: Satellite A300-20P.

I'm not sure what he did, but he installed Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit, then 32-bit again. The whole thing messed up.
    Anyway, he didnt make a recovery disk for his laptop (damn thing). Now, becasue I have a Toshiba laptop too I know that there is Recovery on the Harddisk on the D partition (not the windows partition). I tried to use "Repair Windows" booting Windows, when I try to restore the whole PC from a backup media it says " No backup media found", now I'm not sure if the recovery sector still available or not, because the Windows cant boot. So is there away to find the recovery media?

If this mission impossible, then I have Windows Vista Ultimate to install and I can download the drivers from the site? The problem is, how I will make recovery media when install the Windows and the drivers ?

Please this is urgent.

Thanks in advance!

2. Re: Satellite A300-20P - How to restore from Toshiba recovery?
    Beginner
    Hi

To be honest Iím confused at the moment because first you wrote about a problem of your friendís notebook and you wrote something about your own notebook where you try repair Windows.
    So I donít understand what you mean exactly.

But fact is you have two possibilities to restore factory settings:
    1)Use the Toshiba HDD recovery option. You can start it if you go in advanced boot menu (F8) and select ďRepair my computerĒ. Then follow the screen instructions.
    The first partition of the HDD will be wiped and you get factory settings back.
    2)Use the Toshiba recovery disk. Itís very similar to HDD recovery option but whole HDD will be wiped (all files will be deleted). After this you have factory settings back, too.

So thatís all what you can do to restore the factory settings. If the HDD recovery option not work and you donít have a recovery disk you have to order a new one from Toshiba directly.

Alternative you can use a Microsoft disk to install Windows and then download and install all drivers and tools from Toshiba website step by step.

3. Re: Satellite A300-20P - How to restore from Toshiba recovery?
    Beginner
    hi man .. thanks for ur reply ..

actually the whole problem is within my friend laptop ... ok , what I see now he tried to format the pc , result is : Hard disk wiped out ! every thing ... there is 230 GB are in one partition , there is only another drive named "WinRe" , I dunno what is that .. now, pressing F8 and find repair option is worthless .. So I installed windows Vista on that partition and downloaded all the drivers and Im trying to install them at the moment ...

the question now, is it possible to recover the pc to its original manufacturer state ?? from where I can find the recovery disk for it ?

4. Re: Satellite A300-20P - How to restore from Toshiba recovery?
    Beginner
    Hey,

The Windows RE partition that you mean has nothing to do with the Toshiba HDD recovery feature. The Windows RE partition is available on every notebook or computer with Windows Vista so itís a Windows feature .
    You can read more about this on Wikipedia.

Regarding your question how to restore factory settings, I can say if you install Windows Vista and all drivers and tools from the Toshiba website you have factory settings too. But it takes a longer time as using the Toshiba recovery disk.
    So itís your choice what you do but I prefer the recovery disk because the recovery installation is done in few minutes and already all drivers and tools installed.

If you want the recovery disk you can order a new one here:
    https://backupmedia.toshiba.eu/landing.aspx

5. Re: Satellite A300-20P - How to restore from Toshiba recovery?
    Beginner
    alright .. is there a specific order to install the drivers ? because I finsihed installing windows vista , activated , service pack 2 installed too ! so how to manage the drivers ?? and where i can find the Recovery Disc Creator software ? I dont see it on drivers list .. help please ..

6. Re: Satellite A300-20P - How to restore from Toshiba recovery?
    Master
    Hi

First of all the Toshiba recovery disk creator canít be downloaded. Itís only preinstalled on your notebook and so in your case you canít use it anymore.

Regarding the drivers you have to install all of them that you can find on the Toshiba website! Install the drivers step by step!!!
    I prefer this installation order for drivers:
    -Chipset
    -Display Driver
    -Sound Drivers
    -LAN Drivers
    -WLAN drivers
    -Touchpad Drivers
    -ÖÖ.

Good luck!

7. Re: Satellite A300-20P - How to restore from Toshiba recovery?
    Beginner
    thanks a lot ... will do this temporarily because he need the laptop for studying , till he buy the recovery disk and get the pc to normal state .. thanks