Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Fan on my satellite pro L10

1. Fan on my satellite pro L10
    Beginner
    Toshiba prefers notebook to laptop, no wonder as the notebook gets quite warm and makes laptop use uncomfortable. The user can select from silent or performance (bios settings). After 10 mins use, the fan kicks in a purges the heat build up. However, the frequency of heat exhaust purging increases with use and becomes quite irrating. A third "comfort" option with the fan on all the time would be less distracting, would keep the notebook cooler. The speed of fan in this instance could be lower to offset the increase in noise.

2. Re: Fan on my satellite pro l10
    Beginner
    Is it normal that the fan on my Satellite Pro L10 kicks in every minute or so after about the initial twenty minutes of use. I have the silent rather than the performance setting in BIOS. The laptop gets really hot and the fan just does my head in, this happens even though I mainly use it to browse the internet, not a lot of performance required as opposed to playing games. My friend has a pentium m based centrino, and that seems to stay quiet almost all the time and the fan hardly ever kicks in.

3. Re: Fan on my satellite pro l10
    Hello

In my opinion every notebook is a high-performance machine and hardware components producing a warmness especially processor and graphic chip. To protect this expensive components the warmness must be taken out of unit.

The fact is that the warmness is produced constantly, also without much activity. If you burn some DVD or playing a game the temperature will be much higher and cooling fan works often. You know very well that components like processor are not built by notebook producer. That means if you have unit with a processor who’s get hot much faster then another one it must be cooled more often and the cooling fan runs clearly longer.

4. Re: Fan on my satellite pro l10
    Beginner
    mosh2011,

Is the CPU running at 100% (press Ctlr-Alt-Del to get Task Manager up and click on 'Performance' tab)?

Also have a look at a program called 'Centrino Hardware Control':

<http://www.pbus-167.com/chc.htm>

cheers,
    Pete.

5. Re: Fan on my satellite pro L10
    Beginner
    No the CPU isn't running at 100%, and this happens even when I leave the system idle, by the way my Tosh Pro L10 is a celeron m360 (1.4ghz) model not a centrino. Maybe would have been better off with a centrino, thought the celeron being a moble version would be okay :(

6. Re: Fan on my satellite pro L10
    Beginner
    > No the CPU isn't running at 100%, and this happens
    > even when I leave the system idle, by the way my Tosh
    > Pro L10 is a celeron m360 (1.4ghz) model not a
    > centrino. Maybe would have been better off with a
    > centrino, thought the celeron being a moble version
    > would be okay :(

Hi Mosh2011,

Sorry for the late reply but I've just found out the Celeron M doesn't have the power management features that the Pentium M has, ie no Speedstep!:

http://forum.rightmark.org/topic.cgi?id=6:225

There should be a BIOS option on the L10 to reduce the processor power, also 'CPU Rightmark' gives the option of throttling the CPU clock from a Windows program:

http://cpu.rightmark.org/

This will give some improvement but will still be nowhere near as good as a Pentium M with Speedstep.

The above software will also allow you to undervolt the CPU a little which will help more.

FWIW my father bought a Celeron L10 and is returning it due to the fan being much worse than his old P3 laptop.

Hope this helps,
    Pete.

7. Re: Fan on my satellite pro l10
    Beginner
    one short comment from me about your comment "I mainly use it to browse the internet, not a lot of performance required as opposed to playing games"

Most sites use macromedia flash lately in order to be more attractive. If you have the 'performance window' of "windows task manager" open (ctrl+shift+esc ... for whomever still uses ctrl+alt+del) you will see that your computer easily reaches even 100% CPU Usage while a flash is playing on the background.

The times when we though browsing does not require cpu power are gone :)

Models with dual fan will show up very soon on the market.

Regards