Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite L500 - What is the third partition on HDD?

1. Satellite L500 - What is the third partition on HDD?
    Beginner
    I see that I have three Primary partitions already made on this new L500 ~
    1.) 2GiB /dev/hda1 for Toshiba Recovery,
    2.) 330+GiB (C:) for Vista and 3.) 12GiB /dev/hda3 ???.

I need to dual boot two windows installations and use and extended partition for Linux and Storage.

What is the third partition for and can I configure things so that I can save it within a Logical Partition ?

My aim is:

/dev/hda1 = Toshiba Recovery
    /dev/hda2 = Vista
    /dev/hda3 = Windows 7 ~ RC7
    /dev/hda4 = Extended for all others ( including Linux, the 12GiB existing and a common storage space as well.)

Any suggestions or thoughts before I dive in ?

Regards, SnapafunFrank

2. Re: Satellite L500 - What is the third partition on HDD?
    Master
    Hi

The third partition belongs to Vista.
    Vista creates two partitions; one a usual partition to install system and the second hidden partition for backup files. These backup files are important for Vista. Vista needs it to repair the OS if something will go wrong…

So it’s strongly recommended to leave this partition on the HDD…

3. Re: Satellite L500 - What is the third partition on HDD?
    Master
    Hi

The Vista recovery partition is necessary for the Windows Recovery Environment:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recovery_Environment

This partition is hidden and normally on Windows you can’t see it. You shouldn’t delete it because it’s important for Vista to restore system files after system crash.

So you must do nothing. It’s all ok and don’t change something on this partition! ;)

4. Re: Satellite L500 - What is the third partition on HDD?
    Beginner
    I own two other computers with Vista and neither has such a partition. I suspect that this third partition is something Toshiba does to allow you to master backup DVDs of which two are required ~ sort of matches the size of this partition somewhat. Oh, and Windows is not intelligent enough to successfully create its own backup partition, you sort of got to do that yourself otherwise it just stores its Restore Points and self generated Full BackUps to its resident partition ~ and scream at you if there isn't enough space -- been there, seen it.

Thanks for the response, greatly appreciated and shows that I'm not alone here.

5. Re: Satellite L500 - What is the third partition on HDD?
    Akuma
    There should be three partitions:

Microsoft's Windows Drive (C:)
    Microsoft's EISA Partition (About 2-4GB)
    Toshiba's Recovery Partition (About 6-10GB)

The EISA partition is a Microsoft Partition preinstalled by Toshiba to provide the Windows Recovery Console.

XP also had this Recovery console, but it was stored on C: Drive, instead of a Partition.

6. Re: Satellite L500 - What is the third partition on HDD?
    Beginner
    So now that that is sorted can we get back to the original query ?

Can I save the third partition ( albeit as a image maybe ) and configure things to allow me to have Toshiba or Windows find it when I've placed it within a logical partition having extended the fourth Primary partition ?

Final setup would be:

/dev/hda1 Laptop 2Gib Restore
    /dev/hda2 Vista Home Premium ~ pre-installed and partition resized to suit via a full recovery option
    /dev/hda3 Windows 7 RC7 ( I'll proberly use EasyBCD for the boot manager
    /dev/hda4 EXTENDED
    /dev/hda5 /root for PCLinuxOS 2009.2
    /dev/hda6 Linux Swap
    /dev/hda7 /home
    /dev/hda8 Common NTFS storage
    /dev/hda9 This extra 12GiB recovery partition I'm trying to move safely to one side.

So..... Is this doable or not ?

And, yeah, thanks for your time people, it's greatly appreciated.

null

7. Re: Satellite L500 - What is the third partition on HDD?
    Beginner
    Staying away from Windows I was able to manually configure the HDD as I wished.