Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Re: Using Expert Recovery Mode in Product Recovery CD for Satellite Pro M70-220

1. Using Expert Recovery Mode in Product Recovery CD for Satellite Pro M70-220
    Beginner
    I would greatly appreciate advice on the following.

My Sat Pro M70-220 (PSM75E-00D008G3), laptop has 4 partitions created by Acronis Disk Director Suit v9:

C: OS-Win XP Pro SP3
    D: Programs
    E: Data& Downloads
    F: Backups

After booting the laptop into Win XP, I inserted the Toshiba Product Recovery CD into the DVD-RAM drive
    and navigated to BMP folder, R:\G_INST\BMP, where I found the file "menu.bmp" which gives 2 Recovery
    options:

*1. Recover entire Hard disk*
    Warning . All stored data o your computer will be lost.
    Factory pre-installed software will be installed.

*2. Expert Recovery Mode Warning:*
    This is for PC experts only.
    Factory pre-installed Software can be installed onto an existing partition.

My questions are with respect to using the "Expert Recovery Mode" :
    - will I be able to use the "Expert Recovery Mode" of the Recovery CD to reinstall the Win XP Pro (factory pre-installed software) onto my C: partition, whilst not affecting the D, E & F partitions ?
    - will I be able to format the C: partition, using the "Expert Recovery Mode", without formatting the other partitions ?
    - what is the exact "Expert Recovery Mode" procedure ?
    - where can I find further info on the "Expert Recovery Mode" procedure ?

Thank you

AlanCB

2. Re: Using Expert Recovery Mode in Product Recovery CD for Satellite Pro M70-220
    Master
    >will I be able to use the "Expert Recovery Mode" of the Recovery CD to reinstall the Win XP Pro (factory pre-installed software) onto my C: partition, whilst not affecting the D, E & F partitions

Yes, this should be possible. Using the Expert Recovery Mode you should get the Ghost window in which you could select the partition where the OS should be installed. In such case only this partition would be formatted.

> will I be able to format the C: partition, using the "Expert Recovery Mode", without formatting the other partitions?

Yes, theoretically this should be possible.

> what is the exact "Expert Recovery Mode" procedure ?
    As I mentioned above, this mode allows you to restore the OS on a certain partition and only this partition will be formatted.

> where can I find further info on the "Expert Recovery Mode" procedure ?
    How about searching here in the forum?
    I found this thread:
    http://forums.computers.toshiba-europe.com/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=7302&#7302

3. Re: Using Expert Recovery Mode in Product Recovery CD for Satellite Pro M70-220
    Beginner
    Jimi

Thank you very much for your reply and info.

Will give it a try the next time I have to re-install Win XP Pro - hopefully not too soon.

AlanCB

Message was edited by: AlanCB