Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Re: Portege A600-13Y: BIOS update 1.50 to 2.00-WIN - How risky it is?

1. Portege A600-13Y: BIOS update 1.50 to 2.00-WIN - How risky it is?
    Beginner
    Hi there,

My Portege A600-13Y BIOS is version 1.50:

- should I upgrade to 2.00WIN?
    - I found this source for the biso upgrade 2.0 but there is no indication that this file is authentic TOSHIBA bios.
    No checksums, no ssl certificate, nothing. Is it possible to get it in a secured / authenticated way?

Thanx for answers,
    Schneiderlein

2. Re: Portege A600-13Y: BIOS update 1.50 to 2.00-WIN - How risky it is?
    Master
    Hi

First of all you should use and download the BIOS files only from Toshiba website.
    The Portege A600-13Y PPA61E is a Toshiba European notebook model and all the drivers and BIOS can be found on the Toshiba driver page.

I don’t know why you ask for the checksums or ssl certificate… the Toshiba websites are safe…
    but everyone who needs the drivers or BIOS can download it…

You should only ensure that you have chosen the right notebook model and that you have downloaded the right BIOS!

But why you want to update the BIOS?
    If your notebook is running troublefree then a BIOS update is not important… I follow always this advice; never change a running system.

3. Re: Portege A600-13Y: BIOS update 1.50 to 2.00-WIN - How risky it is?
    Beginner
    > the Toshiba websites are safeâ?¦

Maybe. But how do I know the site I'm connected to is from Toshiba?
    Could be anyone (think phishing).

But why you want to update the BIOS?

Website says it adds functionality. But it does not say which. For instance it's not possible with my BIOS to en/disable "wake on lan" without Toshiba-HW-Setup-Utility which runs on Windows. I would really like to have complete access to the BIOS without having to use Windows.

Thank you, Schneiderlein

4. Re: Portege A600-13Y: BIOS update 1.50 to 2.00-WIN - How risky it is?
    Master
    > Maybe. But how do I know the site I'm connected to is from Toshiba?
    >Could be anyone (think phishing).

Do you know what “phishing” is and how to works?
    If you check the URL in the internet browser then you should exactly know, that you are on the Toshiba page and not on any other 3rd website...

> Website says it adds functionality. But it does not say which. For instance it's not possible with my BIOS to en/disable "wake on lan" without Toshiba-HW-Setup-Utility which runs on Windows. I would really like to have complete access to the BIOS without having to use Windows.

The wake up on LAN can be disabled in BIOS too.
    The HWSetup is only a tool which helps to change some (NOT ALL) BIOS settings which can be changed in BIOS too.

5. Re: Portege A600-13Y: BIOS update 1.50 to 2.00-WIN - How risky it is?
    Beginner
    DO NOT UPGRADE.

Lack of support and many bugs, that's all you will get from Toshiba new BIOS.

Before making any upgrade try reaching Toshiba directly and see that you can't...

Hen

6. Re: Portege A600-13Y: BIOS update 1.50 to 2.00-WIN - How risky it is?
    In my opinion your statement is pretty general and can be just confusing for other people.

If there is not problem with notebook and if everything works OK BIOS update must not be done.
    I have two years old Portege and it still runs with factory preinstalled BIOS and I am happy with it.

7. Re: Portege A600-13Y: BIOS update 1.50 to 2.00-WIN - How risky it is?
    Akuma
    In my opinion, I think its a good idea to update the BIOS on Models that are less than a year old.

In the first year, most of the major bugs are fixed.

After 1 year, BIOS updates rarely fix major issues.

I have never had a problem updating the BIOS on my laptops. And if there was a new issue introduced in the latest BIOS, I'm sure Toshiba would fix the problem and release another BIOS.

8. Re: Portege A600-13Y: BIOS update 1.50 to 2.00-WIN - How risky it is?
    Master
    Hi!

I agree with Horwath and Akuma.
    Yesterday I have updated the BIOS on my Qosmio notebook and I didn’t have a problem during and after BIOS update. The update was installed successfully and after one year the most issues are fixed.

But if you don’t have a problem with the notebook I don’t see a reason to update the BIOS.

Furthermore I think your opinion isn’t very clear and it’s not fact. Of course BIOS update is always a little bit risky but the most updates will be installed properly.

Bye