Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Need recovery CD for my Satellite Pro L20

1. Need recovery CD for my Satellite Pro L20
    Beginner
    Hi,

I own a Toshiba Satellite Pro L20 with Windows XP.
    I did not make a recovery CD for it and there is no partition separately to install the system from it.

So now even if I own a license number, I canít reinstall my system. I called the company that has the exclusive rights for Toshiba in my country and they say that they donít have that recovery CD anymore (my lap is about 3 years old - so itís not that old right?) and thatís their final word on this situation.

Can anyone please tell me where can I get this recovery CD? Can I buy it from anywhere?

Thank you,
    Mihai

2. Re: Need recovery CD for my Satellite Pro L20
    Master
    Hello Mihai

As far as I know Satellite Pro L20 is delivered with recovery CD and there is no option for creation as on new notebook models. This option doesnít exist.
    As you wrote this is older notebook model and I can imagine this company doesnít have recovery medias for this notebook model.

Toshiba recovery medias can be ordered under https://backupmedia.toshiba.eu/landing.aspx but I am not sure you will be able to order it for this older notebook model but you can check it.
    If you will not be able to order original Toshiba recovery media you can install WXP using Microsoft installations CD. All necessary drivers, tools and utilities you can download from Toshiba support page.

One more thing: number on the bottom side is for recovery image and cannot be used with every WXP installations CD.

If you need more help with WXp installation let us know.

3. Re: Need recovery CD for my Satellite Pro L20
    Beginner
    Ok I checked my notebook number on the page there but I donít find it the notebook is too old or its not from Europe - and I can see on my laptop that it says: Made in China (maybe Iím not looking on the correct page?
    So should I buy a new xp license in order to reinstall the system? :(

Thank you for your time!

4. Re: Need recovery CD for my Satellite Pro L20
    Can you please post exact notebook model and model number. With this model number we can see here if your notebook is European notebook model.
    Anyway, check this page and if you cannot order new recovery CD you must install OS using Microsoft installation CD. When you buy it you will also buy valid license for the usage.

5. Re: Need recovery CD for my Satellite Pro L20
    Beginner
    serial number is x5115820W its says toshiba europe but made in china. anyone can tell me if i can buy recovery cd for this laptop? thank you!

6. Re: Need recovery CD for my Satellite Pro L20
    Master
    Hi

It looks to be a Toshiba European model.
    The Recovery disk cannot be ordered using the website mentioned above because the model seems to be too old for this serviceÖ

So you have just only one possibility to reinstall the Windows; you need the Microsoft disk in order to install the OS. The needed Toshiba drivers are placed on the Toshiba European driver page.

Cheers

7. Re: Need recovery CD for my Satellite Pro L20
    Beginner
    Here same Problem,
    Toshiba Satelitte Pro L20 needs a reinstall but Reovery CD is missing.
    My question: Can I use the Toshiba Notebook Product Key on the back side sticker with an normal Windows installation CD (OEM or Retail CD)? Or do i need to by a new Windows XP licence and CD

Message was edited by: Propheus

8. Re: Need recovery CD for my Satellite Pro L20
    Master
    Hi!

No, the product key on the button side canít be used with a Microsoft Windows version. It belongs only to the Toshiba preinstalled OS.
    If you install Windows from a Microsoft disk you have to use the product key that you get with the installation disk (Microsoft).

A new recovery disk you get from an ASP or you download all drivers and tools for your notebook. Then you can install it without recovery disk, you need only a Microsoft disk.

Bye

9. Re: Need recovery CD for my Satellite Pro L20
    Beginner
    "ASP" abbreviation for?

10. Re: Need recovery CD for my Satellite Pro L20
    Akuma
    Authorized Service Provider

They are repair shops authorized to repair Toshiba notebooks under warranty.
    There is a list of ASP's on the Toshiba website.

11. Re: Need recovery CD for my Satellite Pro L20
    Beginner
    Can you check for serial number Y5126631W, am getting the same message on the recovery cd site. Thanks

12. Re: Need recovery CD for my Satellite Pro L20
    You cannot order the recovery disk for L20 notebook using this page: https://backupmedia.toshiba.eu/landing.aspx
    The L20 is an oldie and this page does not allow ordering the Recovery disk for oldies.
    Possibly you will be not able to order the recovery disk if itís a discontinued notebook series.
    You last chance would be the ASP. You could get in contact with local service provider and could ask if itís possible to order such disk!