Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Satellite U500 and CPU Fan issue on Ubuntu 9.04

1. Re: Satellite U500 and CPU Fan issue on Ubuntu 9.04
    Beginner
    I would like to ask some things.

0) How did you update bios ? 1.9 version is in a self extracting exe, not in iso or some other image file.
    0) I have Xubuntu 9.10 and have acpi.nopower-off=1 in menu.lst. The temperature is around 45-50 C so the problem of overheating has been solved but my system doesn't find any sound card and i can't activate ATI/AMD propriatary drivers. Does bios update solves those problems?, Did anyone else had the same problems ?

2. Re: Satellite U500 and CPU Fan issue on Ubuntu 9.04
    Beginner
    Hello Harry,

I've recently installed Ubuntu 9.10 64 bits version on my U500-11C. I confirm that using acpi.power_nocheck=1 kernel option completely removes the CPU fan issue and the overheat is gone.

Regarding the problems you have,
    I don't understand why you cannot activate ATI proprietary drivers, since I successfully activated them on Ubuntu.
    You can have then two reasons : it is a bug on Xubuntu, or you don't have any access to internet (since they need to be downloaded). It is the same for your sound issue. On my Satellite laptop, I had sound directly from the install source without any manipulation.

It might be a specific problem of Xubuntu. Why don't you use Ubuntu ?
    Did you install from the Desktop or from the alternate source.
    Beware that the alternate install doesn't have the same sources list as the desktop one.
    I would suggest at least that you install from the desktop source of Xubuntu if you didn't do it.

Regards

3. Re: Satellite U500 and CPU Fan issue on Ubuntu 9.04
    Beginner
    Hello,

I started using my Toshiba U500-ST6322 (configurable model from Toshiba's website) two days ago, and have been thinking to try out Linux this time, so these posts will be helpful.

A noticeable issue I am having with the laptop for now is the same one CanisMajor was having - when my fan goes on it is so loud that it sounds like there is vacuum cleaner working in the background. Although I've had enough of it, my 6-yr old Dell has a quieter fan. I'm a little surprised considering the Toshiba is a brand new machine. The noise is very loud and I doubt I'll be able to eventually tune it out.

It would be a hassle, and I would feel silly, returning the laptop, so I wonder if anyone has experienced the same problem and if there are any suggestions?

Thanks!

4. Re: Satellite U500 and CPU Fan issue on Ubuntu 9.04
    Beginner
    Hi all,

Just a few words to tell you that Ubuntu 10.04 LTS still needs acpi.power_nocheck=1 in kernel command line to let CPU Fan work properly, even if you install ATI drivers from the vendor. I've seen on other forums that possibly kernel version 2.6.35 would help fixing this issue since it would handle better GPU power management. We will see...

Have fun with your Toshiba Satellite laptop on Linux !

5. Re: Satellite U500 and CPU Fan issue on Ubuntu 9.04
    Beginner
    It's not an issue of Ubuntu needing special parameters to let ACPI (power saving) work properly on laptops.

The source of the problem is that some laptops come with bad DSDT (ACPI) tables that are necessary for the operating system to perform proper power saving.

To see whether you are affected, you can extract those DSDT tables and try to recompile them. If they compile fine, most probably your laptop is good.

1. To extract your DSDT tables, run

sudo cat /proc/acpi/dsdt > dsdt.dat

2. Install the IASL tools (tools from Intel that manage those DSDT tables; manufacturers use these tools.

sudo apt-get install iasl

3. Decompile the dsdt.dat file

iasl -d dsdt.dat

This produces dsdt.dsl which is the 'source' code of the ACPI functions.

4. Try to recompile and observe for any errors,

iasl -tc dsdt.dsl

Observe any errors here.

For more, see http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1036051
    For these issues it is important to complain to the vendor.

6. Re: Satellite U500 and CPU Fan issue on Ubuntu 9.04
    Beginner
    Hello Tarafrog,

I've tried DSDT export and compile as you suggest, but no errors appear. Are you sure this would fix any acpi issue ?

7. Re: Satellite U500 and CPU Fan issue on Ubuntu 9.04
    Beginner
    Hi,
    I think i fixed the fan issue with my U500
    there was mistakes in the dsdt : the fanX status always return ON so linux never turned on them.

now Fan's levels start accordingly to their trip point and you can monitor them with yacpi cmd line tool.

i hope this will work for you too
    i have done this on debian , i integrate the dsdt.hex into the kernel (need recompile)
    on ubuntu it seems easier to just add the dsdt to initramfs.

the .dsl still contains 1 error when you compile with iasl but i don't know how to correct it, it seems harmless though

DSDT: [u500-dsdt.zip|http://vanoven.free.fr/toshiba/u500-dsdt.zip]

PS: sorry for my english :p

Message was edited by: vanoven

8. Re: Satellite U500 and CPU Fan issue on Ubuntu 9.04
    Beginner
    Thanks Vanoven. I've tried your fix on my U500-11C under Windows 7 64 bits (didn't have enough time to test under Ubuntu). It's interesting because fan speed regulation seems more efficient now. From my point of view, it show that this laptop bios is buggy. This is odd, since Toshiba is part of the ACPI consortium. I will try as soon as possible on Ubuntu a post a new message with my feedback.

9. Re: Satellite U500 and CPU Fan issue on Ubuntu 9.04
    Beginner
    I can confirm than Vanoven DSDT fixed the fan problem on my Toshiba U500-119.

Thanks A LOT for this, you really made something great for the Ubuntu 10 users struggling with their Toshiba !

10. Re: Satellite U500 and CPU Fan issue on Ubuntu 9.04
    Beginner
    Hi there. If the fix works, can some of you raise the issue with the kernel developers and the Toshiba Support? So that, maybe, the might include the fix in the next releases. I've been struggling with this issue for more than a year and I am fed up. If I had the money, I'd throw this rubbish laptop away.

I understand that the problem is with the laptop and not with the linux kernel. However, I don't enough time to compile a new kernel so I'd like the fix to be included in the next releases...

Thank you very much,
    Donato

11. Re: Satellite U500 and CPU Fan issue on Ubuntu 9.04
    Beginner
    Hello Scorpio2002,

If you watch all the posts you can find on the internet speaking about problems with Toshiba Laptops having fan issues on Linux, you'll understand that it's a global problem with Toshiba. They don't bother anymore about their customers wishing to run Linux. On my side, I'm trying to sell my Laptop and thinking about buying any other brand. Dell or Lenovo Laptops seem to work without any problem generally.

Having tested the DSDT fix from Vanoven on Windows 7, I can also say that this is not only a Linux issue. In my case, I get fans run generally slower while not getting the laptop so hot.

If somebody knows how to ask Toshiba for this fix in the BIOS, please have a try ! On my side, I don't know how to do this.

Have a nice day !

12. Re: Satellite U500 and CPU Fan issue on Ubuntu 9.04
    Beginner
    Hi Scorpio,

A bug has been files on Launchpad in 2009 and is still followed
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/370173

I'm also fed up but I love my laptop and there's always a solution.
    What model do you have ?
    And what Ubuntu version ?
    Have you tried the "acpi.no_check=1" tip in Ubuntu 10.04 ? (Im too lazy downgrading to 10.04 from 10.10)

Now I can use my laptop perfectly under Linux, there are still some annoying details (battery level doesn't show up correctly sometimes) but IT WORKS.
    Compiling your kernel is a pain but it is unfortunately the key to getting your laptop work, and Toshiba won't fix it on their old laptop models :(

I can maybe give you some handy help and compile your kernel if you need. Have a look at this page that I wrote in French :
    http://doc.ubuntu-fr.org/toshiba_satellite_u500-119

13. Re: Satellite U500 and CPU Fan issue on Ubuntu 9.04
    Master
    > If somebody knows how to ask Toshiba for this fix in the BIOS…
    The problem is that Toshiba doesn’t support Linux and I don’t think anything can be done about it.
    Few days ago one guy wrote here: Toshiba and Linux are not best friends.

14. Re: Satellite U500 and CPU Fan issue on Ubuntu 9.04
    Beginner
    I am using Fedora 13 on a Toshiba U500-10V. I'm currently using "acpi.no_check=1" and things are a bit better. In the sense that the fans run almost all the time. However, when I am in yoube or firefox or similar stuff, the temperature still gets high even if the fans are running pretty loudly (looks like they have no effect on the temperature). For example, now the temperature of the two cores is 75 °C and the only thing running is firefox.

I also have to add that when I start my laptop after some hours, the initial temperature is about 40 °C. Even if the fans start, the temperature keeps going up till it reaches 70-85 °C and then basically stays there even if sometimes it reaches 90%.

I am fed up, really. I can't understand how can these people make and sell such devices. -.-" For sure, I will never buy a Toshiba again. I can't take the risk, the only system I use is Linux and I intend to continue using it.

15. Re: Satellite U500 and CPU Fan issue on Ubuntu 9.04
    Beginner
    Hi all
    I've got the same Toshiba model U500, same fan issue with ubuntu 11.04
    Of course I tried all the tips and suggestions mentioned in the forums to no avail
    Decided to go back to windows but found by chance a simple and effective solution!!
    when you turn on your laptop and after every thing loaded just log off, and you will hear the sound of the fan immediately..

Message was edited by: starry

16. Re: Satellite U500 and CPU Fan issue on Ubuntu 9.04
    Beginner
    another way: after you log in go to suspend, then when the power button flash red press power button and log in again..
    the two ways works with me..

null

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12