Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Portege 3410 - How to update BIOS and install XP?

1. Portege 3410 - How to update BIOS and install XP?
    Beginner
    Good day, I have two questions about Portege 3410.

The first one: I cannot update BIOS (there is 1.50 in use, I want to update to 1.60). The instruction does not work: I connect Teac USB-drive on USB-port, switch USB-FDD emulation to Enable, switch notebook On with F12 pressed, the message "Ready to update BIOS..." appears, I presed key, but nothing happend. What's wrong?

The second one: I cannot install Windows XP on to notebook (it does not boot neither FDD-USB, nor External DVD-USB).
    How can I install Windows?

Thank you.
    Mikhail

2. Re: Portege 3410 - How to update BIOS and install XP?
    Master
    Hi

Just one question: Why do you want to update the BIOS? Is it really necessary?
    I ask this because this update is always a little bit risky and you could damage the ROM module.
    Anyway, have you tried to load default settings in BIOS before you start the update and install XP?

You can install XP without CD. Therefore you must copy the i386 folder on the HDD from another computer and some booting files for HDD… I think you should search a little bit with Google to find workaround for this. You should find enough! ;)

3. Re: Portege 3410 - How to update BIOS and install XP?
    Beginner
    Hi, the answer is: in new BIOS version may be some new features like booting from USB-CD. for example.
    This will help to install Windows XP without extracting HDD from notebook.
    Mikhail

4. Re: Portege 3410 - How to update BIOS and install XP?
    Master
    Hallo Mikhail

Can you please tell me which device do you use exactly? What is Teac USB-drive? Is this USB FDD or USB CD-ROM?
    In my opinion instruction must work but obviously you do something wrong. Portege 3410 is maybe 10 years old and do you really believe Toshiba will have wrong instruction online for 10 years. I don't think so.
    If possible obtain Toshiba USB FDD. You can get it on eBay for few euros. Follow BIOS Upgrade Procedure 3 and it should work properly.

What to say about WXP installation?
    Simply to connect external USB CD-ROM will probably not work. And don't hope new BIOS will help. Connected drive cannot be recognized. It will works if you load DOS driver at first. Can you do this?
    Best solution is to use Toshiba PCMCIA cards (16bit and Cardbus) external CD-ROM drive.

I have mobile Toshiba PCMCIA CD-ROM with PCMCIA cable and it is recognized on all Portege notebooks I tested. Using this drive you can install WXP without any problems and the drive will be recognized automatically.

5. Re: Portege 3410 - How to update BIOS and install XP?
    Beginner
    Hi, I tried to use an FDD-USB drive TEAC, I think that the instructions given by Toshiba are correct, but they are not complete, maybe Toshiba FDD-USB drive must be used?
    This notebook is so old to spend money for buying external Toshiba drives or other PCMCA cards.
    I will try to Install Windows by other ways.
    Mikhail