Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite A300-243 - Easy Keys & Recovery Disc don't work

1. Satellite A300-243 - Easy Keys & Recovery Disc don't work
    Beginner
    Hi, I just bought a new Toshiba Satellite A300 243 and I decided to reinstall system to Vista Ultimate 64 bit (because of the 4GB ram usage).

It took me a few hours, but in the end I found all needed drivers and everything is working fine, except one thing - those multimedia keys (I think they're called Easy Keys). Start, Stop, Next track and Preview track works fine, but the first (by default used for toggling illumination) and the second (by default used for starting W Media Player) just don't work. I have installed the latest version of VAP for 64 bit Vista and in Toshiba Button Support I'm not able to change anything. The list, where normally I'm able to choose a key to edit its function, is empty. I found a few similar problems on this forum, but without any useful answer - lookes like the only way is to use the Toshiba Recovery option, and at this point I'm getting to my second problem.

The second problem is in Toshiba Recovery Disc Creator and Toshiba HDD Recovery tool. At first, before I reinstalled Vista to 64 bit version I wanted to create Recovery Disc, but Toshiba Recovery Disc Creator just didn't started. Then I found the HDD Recovery option, and I read, that this tool is placed on a hidden partition, so I thought I will be able to recover the old system with this tool in case of any compication. So I reinstalled the system and wanted to go back to 32 bit, because it looked like its slower and at first I wasn't able to find all necessary drivers. And what a surprise - Recovery tool disappeared!

Now the only thing I'm missing on 64 bit version is those two multimedia keys.

And the last question - is there any chance to get a Recovery Disc with Vista 64 bit?

2. Re: Satellite A300-243 - Easy Keys & Recovery Disc don't work
    Luke
    Hello

As you said for the easy keys or also called illumination buttons you need the Toshiba Value Added Package. The Satellite A300-243 belongs to the PSAG8E series and therefore you can find all drivers and tools on the Toshiba website:
    http://eu.computers.toshiba-europe.com => Support & Downloads => Download Drivers

Before you install the VAP, make sure that all drivers are installed and SP1 for Vista at least. Then you can install it and normally then you can use the FN keys, illumination buttons, etc.
    Make also sure that you have installed the newest BIOS for your notebook.

About your problem with the recovery disk creator and HDD recovery option I can only say that these features are only available on the preinstalled Vista version. That means if you upgrade to Vista 64bit you canít use the HDD recovery option anymore and also the recovery disk creator.
    So if the recovery disk creator doesnít work you should use the HDD recovery option but this is not stored on a hidden partition. These files are stored on the second partition of HDD in the folder ďHDDrecoveryĒ. The hidden partition that you mean belongs is a Vista feature: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Recovery_Environment

But just one question: Did you already create a recovery disk?

Greets

3. Re: Satellite A300-243 - Easy Keys & Recovery Disc don't work
    Beginner
    As I said, the Recovery Disc Creator didn't work, so I wasn't able to create any... So I don't have any...

So you think that BIOS update could help? And what drivers and utilities I should install? I installed only necessary drivers, that was not included in Windows.

4. Re: Satellite A300-243 - Easy Keys & Recovery Disc don't work
    Scholar
    Hi

For the problem with the illumination buttons a BIOS update could help you.
    But before you update it, check the BIOS. I have a Satellite A300 and in BIOS I can disable or enable the illumination. Check this!!!

Furthermore you should install all drivers and tools that you can find for your notebook on the Toshiba website. On the notebook in my office (Satellite U400 with Vista x64) itís the same. I installed all drivers from the Toshiba website and also the Toshiba Value Added Package.

By the way, if you were not able to create a recovery disk you can order a disk from Toshiba directly:
    https://backupmedia.toshiba.eu/landing.aspx

5. Re: Satellite A300-243 - Easy Keys & Recovery Disc don't work
    Beginner
    Well in BIOS I'm able to enable or disable illumination keys, that's true, but I want to be able to do it in windows just by clicking the first illumination key. I already read many posts on this forum, so I now that I can do it by executing dimmer.exe, but my problem is, that I can't link this "program" to the first illumination key.

And about those drivers on toshiba download site - well there are a few drivers but many "showelware" I don't want to have on my book. I will try install everything and than VAP later. But I don't think It will help...

BTW - so you're running Vista x64 and those illumination keys works fine? And was 64 bit system preinstalled or was it your work? :)

6. Re: Satellite A300-243 - Easy Keys & Recovery Disc don't work
    Scholar
    Hi

On the Satellite U400 was Vista x32 preinstalled. I installed Vista x64 because I wanted to use the full 4GB of RAM so it was my work to install Vista x64 on it.
    I bought a copy of Vista x64 Business and installed it. After this I installed all drivers from the Toshiba website:
    - Chipset driver
    - Display driver
    - Sound driver
    - LAN driver
    - WLAN driver
    - Touchpad driver
    - etc.

After I installed all drivers I installed the VAP. Then the FN keys and illumination buttons are working. I donít have any problems as yet with these keys.

But about the problem with the illumination and dimmer.exeÖ Wait a moment!
    As far as I know the first illumination key on Satellite A300 is the mute function and there is no special key to enable/disable the illumination. Only on Qosmio notebook you have one key to enable or disable the illumination.
    So itís only possible to enable/disable this function in BIOSÖ Or you make a shortcut on desktop to dimmer.exe. Then you can disable/enable it with two simple clicks! ;)

7. Re: Satellite A300-243 - Easy Keys & Recovery Disc don't work
    Beginner
    Well now the key doesn't work at all, but on preinstalled Vista x86 (32 bit) its function was toggling the illumination. But my problem is that before reinstallation I was able to change to function of those two keys, and now they don't work and I'm not able to change anything.

And the second problem is that at toshiba driver download site there are not all the drivers I think, for example display driver was not there. I had to download the one for Toshiba A350, that is equiped with the same GFX.

And one more problem - I also tried to install x86 VAP, just to know whether they could run also on x64 and whether the problem is in VAP or in the system. And now I can't uninstall or delete it, even in administrator mode. And it works just like the x64 version, so the mistake is probably in system and its drivers, that's true.

8. Re: Satellite A300-243 - Easy Keys & Recovery Disc don't work
    Scholar
    Hi

First of all I have to say thatís itís definitively a problem of your installation with x64 because the illumination keys work on preinstalled Vista version. Itís not a hardware problem.

Yes, for your model (PSAG8E) are no all drivers available but if you search for all A300 models and Vista 64 you should find enough drivers they are also work on your notebook. I assume there are no significant differences between the A300 models.

Anyway, what do you think about a new and clean installation of Vista? I mean you canít remove the VAP and you donít have installed all drivers. Maybe it could solve your problem.

9. Re: Satellite A300-243 - Easy Keys & Recovery Disc don't work
    Beginner
    Well I will probably try Windows 7 when it will be officialy released, and if it won't satisfy me, I will try to make my own Vista x64 install disc with both service packs integrated etc (vLite),. But at first I will probably wait until official release of Windows 7, it should be in a few week and I read that Microsoft will give me a free update or something like that.