Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite A200 - Burn recovery disks from HD image?

1. Satellite A200 - Burn recovery disks from HD image?
    Beginner
    I'm working on a Satellite A200, which doesn't have any recovery disks, and now seems to have a messed up Vista installation.
    Before I started working on it, I created backup images of the Hard drives 3 partitions (C:\, TOSHIBA SYSTEM VOLUME & HDDRECOVERY) which I have saved on another computer.
    My question is, can I create recovery disks from these images? The machine they are saved on triple boots XP, Vista & W7, they were created using ShadowProtect Desktop.
    I can mount the images into either OS...

2. Re: Satellite A200 - Burn recovery disks from HD image?
    As far as I know it can be problematic now. Recovery media can be created when notebook has “factory settings”. That means available "Toshiba Recovery Disc Creator" tool and recovery image placed on second partition.

When you move this recovery image somewhere else and put it back later it can happen that "Toshiba Recovery Disc Creator" cannot find the files anymore.

3. Re: Satellite A200 - Burn recovery disks from HD image?
    Master
    Hi

I’m not quite sure if this would be able but someone has posted very interesting workaround.
    http://forums.computers.toshiba-europe.com/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=164927

I never tested it and I don’t know if it could be helpful but you could check it. It’s worth a try…

4. Re: Satellite A200 - Burn recovery disks from HD image?
    Beginner
    Thanks Jayjay! That looks like it could be helpful, I'll give it a try on the cloned drive and will let you know how it goes :)

5. Re: Satellite A200 - Burn recovery disks from HD image?
    Beginner
    Well, unfortunately it didn't work for me...
    I'm now officially sick of this recovery partition/disk fiasco, and I'm installing XP Pro instead, which IMHO is always better for laptops.
    Thanks to all for their input.
    To anyone else who may be reading this to try and achiave the same thing that I was trying to, give it a go, it may have been that the system files on the original drive were corrupted. It could work for you, I hope it does :)