Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Re: Portege R500 - Bios update installer crashes

1. Portege R500 - Bios update installer crashes
    Beginner
    I'm having problems with my R500, so thought I would update the BIOS.

I am directed to download bios-200803250781.zip

This contains the file P0058v160.exe

Starting that process leads to:

"install2 has encountered a problem and needs to close"

Do these BIOSes have to be installed incrementally? My r500 is an early one and currently running v1.00.

BBuild

2. Re: Portege R500 - Bios update installer crashes
    Master
    Hi

If you want to update the BIOS then you have to download the BIOS package and have to unzip it firstly.
    Then execute the exe stored in the folder.

Iím not sure why the error message appears but please ensure that the Common Modules are installed on your system.

If the error will still persists then this could be a problem with the installed Windows OS and not with the BIOS software.

3. Re: Portege R500 - Bios update installer crashes
    Beginner
    Reinstalled Common Modules and the installer still crashes.

P0058v160.exe is just a wrapper around a zip file. So I just unzipped that, and found the actual install2.exe program. I can see that this is executed with the command:

install2.exe bio0058t.exe chgbiosa.exe

Those files are present. It crashes immediately on execution.I tried debugging it, but there's no symbols in the file. Doesn't work in safe mode either.

4. Re: Portege R500 - Bios update installer crashes
    Master
    Hello

I don't have Portege R500 but I have checked file for download and when you download http://support1.toshiba-tro.de/tedd-files2/0/bios-20080325071859.zip there is one file inside - P0058v160.exe
    After extracting this file you will have just one file again. after double click the file extracting procedure will starts and I hope BIOS update will be started.

Before you execute extracted P0058v160 file close all running applications and be sure your notebook is connected to AC power supply.

5. Re: Portege R500 - Bios update installer crashes
    Beginner
    Hi, yes I see exactly the same thing. The executable works on other machines, not this r500. Heck, the program even runs correctly running on Windows 7 beta on a Macbook (that is, it tells me it can't install the bios)! The executable isn't corrupted.

P0058v160.exe is itself just a zip file with a .exe extractor, and the contents of the file look fine, no problems. The main executable inside is called install2.exe, and this crashes on start on the r500 no matter what command line arguments I give it.

I tried running it in safe mode, but it does exactly the same thing there.
    j

6. Re: Portege R500 - Bios update installer crashes
    Master
    Hmmmm..... what is wrong there? Maybe is this not software but hardware problem. What you can try is to remove one memory module and try it again.

One more thing: under http://rapidshare.com/files/256749833/r500-1.6-DOS.zip you can download traditional BIOS update and you can try to do it with floppy disc.
    More about traditional BIOS update you can read HERE

7. Re: Portege R500 - Bios update installer crashes
    Beginner
    Hi - since the actual problem I was experiencing has gone away (CPU sticking at 100%), I'm going to leave the BIOS update for now.

Thanks for the suggestions.

8. Re: Portege R500 - Bios update installer crashes
    Beginner
    So, the 100% CPU sticking problem is back and I'm trying to update the BIOS. It seems related to a power-management issue under very heavy load. All the device drivers are now up to date and I've run practically every hardware diagnostic, so the only thing to try is the BIOS.

On an R500 how do I install the BIOS from DOS? There are no instructions for an R500 on the page given above: however none of the instructions for other laptops seem to work. (E.G. Holding F12 or the '¬' key when powering on).

Do I need a specific type of USB floppy drive? I can boot from the USB floppy drive so the BIOS recognizes it fine.

Is there a R500 specific BIOS/floppy boot key combination?

Given all the frustration I'm having with the 1.6 Win install crashing all the time (this is _still_ happening). Perhaps I can get another version of the BIOS installer to check.

BBuild

9. Re: Portege R500 - Bios update installer crashes
    DOS BIOS update is possible if traditional BIOS is available for certain notebook model.
    I don't believe this update is available for your Portege.

But this 100% CPU load is interesting. Is some background process responsible for this?

10. Re: Portege R500 - Bios update installer crashes
    Beginner
    Hello, well in post 6 of this thread Mores sent me a link to the DOS bios installer with Bios 1.6 for a R500. I can't seem to install it though.

CPU sticking at 100% can be with _any_ set of active processes, there is no special condition. It seems that threads swap constantly waiting on
    hardware interupts or RPCs. I have run very extensive diagnoses of process problems, have restored to known good WinXP conditions.

The R500 is an early one, running Bios v1.00.

11. Re: Portege R500 - Bios update installer crashes
    Luke
    Hello

With the BIOS update files from the Toshiba website and searching a little bit with Google I have created a own USB stick version for BIOS update!!!!!!!

I have uploaded the files and the howto document here:
    http://rapidshare.com/files/266142085/bios1.6-R500-DOS-INCL-HOWTO.zip

But itís on your own risk!!! But on my R500 it worked :)

Greets