Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Portege M400 hardly starting up

1. Portege M400 hardly starting up
    Beginner
    I've been actively using my Portege M400 for almost 2 years. Few months
    ago it has started becoming less and less easier to start up the
    laptop. When I turn it on, the following happens:
    * The screen remains black and doesn't display anything
    * The power LED either blinks yellow or lights green
    * The HDD LED blinks just one time for a 1/10 second and remains off, or doesn't light up at all
    * Sometimes the fan starts working quite actively and loudly
    The only thing I can do with it is to turn the laptop off and try
    again. Sometimes it starts up after the first attempt, but sometimes I
    have to try up to 10 times.
    Here is a video showing the behaviour described above:
    [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjNa8-c2Aro]

Any ideas what is this all about? Perhaps, I should cleap up the laptop inside, particularly the fan?

2. Re: Portege M400 hardly starting up
    Master
    It is not easy to say for sure what is wrong there but please try to do follow:
    Disconnect all external devices connected to your notebook, remove the battery and try to switch it on with AC power supply only.

Please post the result.

3. Re: Portege M400 hardly starting up
    Beginner
    > {quote:title=Andrej wrote:}{quote}
    > Disconnect all external devices connected to your notebook, remove the battery and try to switch it on with AC power supply only.
    Did this. At first time it began starting up immediately, so I decided you've pointed the right cause of the problem. But next time when I had difficulties described above again, this trick did not help - the laptop behaved the same regardless the battery installed or not.

4. Re: Portege M400 hardly starting up
    I agree with Andrej. It is not easy to say for sure why this happen but if you cannot start notebook properly using AC adapter only I presume there can be some problem with board electronic.
    To be honest I don't see anything what you can do alone to solve this issue and maybe you need professional help.

Contact nearest authorized service provider and talk with them. Explain the situation. They have special diagnostic tools and maybe they should check your Portege notebook.

Please be so nice and inform us what will happen.