Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite U400 - unable to create recovery disk - bad DVD-drive?

1. Satellite U400 - unable to create recovery disk - bad DVD-drive?
    Beginner
    Hi all,

I have a 13inch Satellite U400.
    Due to problems with my Softkeys, illumination and hibernate status (any help on thos would be useful too) I want to create a recovery DVD with the Toshiba recovery disc creator.

The thing is: it starts when I have a CD-Rom in the DVD drive, but as soon as I put a DVD in (which is required) it gives me an errormessage that says something like " A different application uses this drive or no recording drives where found in the laptop. Error code 0D00E4-F0-00000000).

My DVD-drive is working properly, I can play movies and the drivers and status is ok too.
    I have noticed, that the errorcode changes, but I don't know how to get the recovery disk creator going.

What can I do? Change something in the registry?
    I don't know what happened to my notebook, I bought it a couple of months ago - new. I guess, resetting everything would bring my softkeys, illumination and hibernate status back.

So, if anyone nows how to work at least one of the problems out, please give me advice.

Thanks in advance,

wiglip

2. Re: Satellite U400 - unable to create recovery disk - bad DVD-drive?
    Master
    Hi

Did you create virtual CD/DVD drives with such special software? If yes, remove the software completely. Furthermore if you have installed burning programs you should check if they will started on Windows start up and if yes, disable the start up. Therefore go to start > run > msconfig > start up. There you can disable the start up of the burning programs (for example Nero, CD Burner XP, etc.).

And what DVDs do you use for burning? I have good experience with Verbatim DVD-R and TDK disks. These are high quality disks and you should try it too!

Last but not least you should remove the upper and lower filters in registry. This is always advisable with problems of the CD/DVD drive:
    1) Run Regedit (Start -> Run -> Regedit)
    2) Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    3) In the right pane, delete the "UpperFilters" key, and delete the "LowerFilters" key.
    4) Reboot.

According your problem with the illumination keys you should try to reinstall the Toshiba Value Added Package. This controls the illumination buttons, FN keys and other special function on your notebook. I had a similar issue with illumination buttons my Qosmio F50 and I posted something about this in the Qosmio forum that you should try it too!!!
    http://forums.computers.toshiba-europe.com/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=165724

Good luck! :)

3. Re: Satellite U400 - unable to create recovery disk - bad DVD-drive?
    Beginner
    Hi Raver,

thanks for your reply, I will try that soon and see what works out.

1.) No, I don't have anny other burning programs installed except the windows internal one.

2.) I tried Maxell DVD-R discs, do you really think it could be a topic? I mean, I will try everything if its necessary.

3.) I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the VAP, but the Problem didn't solve.

4.) I will try the registry option. I read about it befor but I didn't wanna stir around in the registry for I know something about computers but not THAT much ;)

So thanks, I will let you know how it worked out.

Cheers,
    Wiglip

4. Re: Satellite U400 - unable to create recovery disk - bad DVD-drive?
    Beginner
    Hi Raver,

unfortunately it didn't work out.
    THE recovery disc creator still doesn't work. I recongnized in the registry, that the DVD/CD-ROM drive is in the clas "CDROM". Do you think that is why i cannot create a recovery dvd because the class says cdrom?

Also the illumination buttons dont work, after reinstalling the VAP described by you. The ButtonSetting.ini says the following...

[Version]
    Version =

[Button1]
    ID = 1
    Function = Dimmer

[Button2]
    ID = 2
    Function = CDDVD

[Button3]
    ID =
    Function =

[Button4]
    ID =
    Function =

[Button5]
    ID =
    Function =

[Button6]
    ID =
    Function =

[Button7]
    ID =
    Function =

[CD]
    OPT1 = wmplayer.exe
    OPT2 = /Device:AudioCD

[DVD]
    OPT1 = TosDVD.exe
    OPT2 =
    DVDMENU =

[HDDVD]
    OPT1 = TosDVD.exe
    OPT2 =

[NOMEDIA]
    OPT1 = wmplayer.exe
    OPT2 = /Task Media Library

[TV]
    OPT1 =
    OPT2 =
    REC =

Here I wonder why everything is empty. I tried to put dimmer.exe instead of dimmer but it didn't work.
    The FeatureSelect.ini says this
    [Version]
    Version=1.0

[TOSHIBA_Password_Utility]
    Support=6208

[TOSHIBA_Utilities]
    Support=ALL

[TOSHIBA_PCDiagnosticTool]
    Support=ALL

[TOSHIBA_Power_Saver]
    Support=ALL
    1394=ON

[TOSHIBA_Button_Support]
    Support=ALL
    ButtonSettingREG=DELETE

[TOSHIBA_Zooming_Utility]
    Support=ALL

[TOSHIBA_Flash_Cards]
    Support=ALL

What does ButtonSettingREG=DELETE mean?
    Do you think thats normal?

I now tried everything so far. The problems started when I tried to install WIndows Vista SP2, which wasn't even installed for whatever reason I don't know.

Do you have any more hints for me and what do you think of the .ini files?

Thanks again!

wiglip

5. Re: Satellite U400 - unable to create recovery disk - bad DVD-drive?
    Beginner
    Hi Raver,

unfortunately it didn't work out.
    THE recovery disc creator still doesn't work. I recongnized in the registry, that the DVD/CD-ROM drive is in the clas "CDROM". Do you think that is why i cannot create a recovery dvd because the class says cdrom?

Also the illumination buttons dont work, after reinstalling the VAP described by you. The ButtonSetting.ini says the following...

[Version]
    Version =

[Button1]
    ID = 1
    Function = Dimmer

[Button2]
    ID = 2
    Function = CDDVD

[Button3]
    ID =
    Function =

[Button4]
    ID =
    Function =

[Button5]
    ID =
    Function =

[Button6]
    ID =
    Function =

[Button7]
    ID =
    Function =

[CD]
    OPT1 = wmplayer.exe
    OPT2 = /Device:AudioCD

[DVD]
    OPT1 = TosDVD.exe
    OPT2 =
    DVDMENU =

[HDDVD]
    OPT1 = TosDVD.exe
    OPT2 =

[NOMEDIA]
    OPT1 = wmplayer.exe
    OPT2 = /Task Media Library

[TV]
    OPT1 =
    OPT2 =
    REC =

Here I wonder why everything is empty. I tried to put dimmer.exe instead of dimmer but it didn't work.
    The FeatureSelect.ini says this
    [Version]
    Version=1.0

[TOSHIBA_Password_Utility]
    Support=6208

[TOSHIBA_Utilities]
    Support=ALL

[TOSHIBA_PCDiagnosticTool]
    Support=ALL

[TOSHIBA_Power_Saver]
    Support=ALL
    1394=ON

[TOSHIBA_Button_Support]
    Support=ALL
    ButtonSettingREG=DELETE

[TOSHIBA_Zooming_Utility]
    Support=ALL

[TOSHIBA_Flash_Cards]
    Support=ALL

What does ButtonSettingREG=DELETE mean? Do you think thats normal?
    I now tried everything so far. The problems started when I tried to install WIndows Vista SP2, which wasn't even installed for whatever reason I don't know.

Do you have any more hints for me and what do you think of the .ini files?
    Thanks again!

wiglip

6. Re: Satellite U400 - unable to create recovery disk - bad DVD-drive?
    > 2.) I tried Maxell DVD-R discs, do you really think it could be a topic? I mean, I will try everything if its necessary.

I think you should test different DVD disks from different manufacturers.
    I had a problem to create the Recovery disk too. After I changed the DVD disk (I'm using TDK DVD-R) I could create the recovery disk troublefree.
    You should definitely check different DVDs!!!

But just one note; You said you have installed or tried to install Win XP SP2
    > The problems started when I tried to install Windows Vista SP2,
    I don't know if you would be able to create the Vista Recovery disk if another OS has been installed on your notebook. This could affect the Toshiba recovery disk creator tool!
    In worst case you would have to order a new recovery disk from here:
    https://backupmedia.toshiba.eu/landing.aspx

Regarding the illumination button issue;
    If you are using Vista then I would recommend reinstalling the VAP.