Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Cannot install Vista Business on Portege M400 - IDE issues

1. Cannot install Vista Business on Portege M400 - IDE issues
    Beginner
    Hi Guys.. I seek your help.

I have downloaded all the new Vista related drivers avaiable from Toshiba to support the new install of Vista Business on my old Portege M400, which came preloaded with XP Tablet version and kept them ready on a CD.

I have also upgraded the ACPI BIOS version to the latest available 3.80.

I insert the first CD of Vista Business and do a boot. ( I also have a n upgrade Vista Business CD but I want to do a clean install).
    I go past initial steps and choose Install.
    I am confronted with an error message " No drives were found. Click load driver to provide a mass storage device for installation"

Seems like Vista is not able to see the onboard IDE Hard Disk and it's a driver issue.

I hit the 'Rescan' button available on the Install windows and another message pops up: " No Device drivers were found. Make sure the installation media contains the correct drivers and then Click OK!!"

On the currently loaded XP: The Device Manager shows the currently loaded IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers as: " Intel (R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) Ultra ATA Storage Controllers and Primary IDE Channel.

Disk Drives shown are: Toshiba RAID LD0 SCSI Disk Device

Pls advise, as to which new drivers from the available downloads of Vista drivers for my ML 400 Model PPM40E, should I choose here so that my Vista install recognises the available hard disk?

2. Re: Cannot install Vista Business on Portege M400 - IDE issues
    Master
    Hi

It’s very easy to solve this issue.
    If you would look on the Toshiba European driver page (Portege M400 section), then you would notice that an RAID driver is available for this notebook model.

The Vista cannot be installed because it cannot find the HDD due to missing RAID driver!

You have to install firstly the RAID driver and then you could follow with the Vista Setup.
    As far as I know the Vista setup accept the USB flash stick so you could use such stick in order to include the RAID driver.

Hope I could provide some useful hints….

Cheers mate

3. Re: Cannot install Vista Business on Portege M400 - IDE issues
    Master
    Hi

As Chad already said you need the RAID drivers from the Toshiba website. Otherwise your HDD will not be recognized and so you must it.

So download the drivers from the Toshiba website and copy it on an USB stick. Vista should be able to search on external USB devices to find the drivers.

Here you can find the drivers:
    http://eu.computers.toshiba-europe.com => Support & Downloads => Download Drivers

If you have more questions, please let us know! :)

Bye