Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite A100-065 (PSAANA) - Can I upgrade it with a SATA2 HDD?

1. Satellite A100-065 (PSAANA) - Can I upgrade it with a SATA2 HDD?
    Beginner
    Hello Forum!

I wish to upgrade from a 120GB (Hitachi) hard drive to a 500GB (Western Digital). I do not know whether this A100 supports SATA2.

I believe it is to do with the hard disk controllers that are on the mobo. This is the information that I cannot find (using pc wizard). I am quite happy to use a SATA drive if this is the only one that is compatible, but if it does support SATA 2 then obviously I would like to install one as they are 3GB bandwidth instead of 1.5GB like SATA.

Any help would be very greatly appreciated as my hard drive is full.

Thanks in advance.

2. Re: Satellite A100-065 (PSAANA) - Can I upgrade it with a SATA2 HDD?
    Master
    Hi

You can use a SATA2 HDD without problems. These HDDs are downgrade compatible to the older SATA1 standard so you can use the 500GB HDD as you have suggested.
    But donít forget it will only run with SATA1 speed but this should not be a problem normally.

So have fun with the new HDD! ;)

Bye

3. Re: Satellite A100-065 (PSAANA) - Can I upgrade it with a SATA2 HDD?
    Beginner
    Hi,

Many thanks Lars. I did think it was possible as I have had the same problem with my desktop setup, but on the 3.5" drives you just use the jumper to force it to run on Sata rather than Sata2.

The WD drives 2.5" sata only go up to 250gig for £47, whereas the 500gig are £60!

It's a no brainer, yeah!

I have mailed WD as well to ask them the question? As there is no detail of back compatability on the 2.5" inch blue scorpio's specifications, the website just talks about certain mobo's not being capable of back compatability, but I think they are all atx (desktop).

I'll post when I get a reply so everyone else can have this resource.

Nice one.

4. Re: Satellite A100-065 (PSAANA) - Can I upgrade it with a SATA2 HDD?
    Master
    Yeas, it would be nice to know how the notebook would run after the upgradeÖ
    So please post the details and info how it works after the HDD SATA2 upgrade.

Greets