Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite A100-237 (PSAA9E) - Can I upgrade it with a new 320GB HDD?

1. Satellite A100-237 (PSAA9E) - Can I upgrade it with a new 320GB HDD?
    Beginner
    Hello!

I want to upgrade the harddisk of my Satellite A100-237. It is equipped with 80GB Fujitsu, 5200rpm, SATA. I want to install a new one - 320GB, 7200rpm, SATA. But I don't know is it supported.

I tried to find information about possibilities for this upgrade, I couldn't find anything.

Thank you in advance!

2. Re: Satellite A100-237 (PSAA9E) - Can I upgrade it with a new 320GB HDD?
    Luke
    Hello

Theoretically you can upgrade the HDD to a 320GB model. This should not be a problem because on the SATA interface there are no capacity limits.

According the rpm of the HDD… Well buddy, a HDD with 7200rpm is of course faster as a HDD with “only” 5400rpm but if you use the computer only for office and internet the HDD with 5400rpm is fast enough.
    The point is that a HDD with more rpm’s produces more heat and makes a little bit more noise but it’s faster. So in my opinion a HDD with 7200rpm is only useful if you works with video files and general files with big sizes.
    But theoretically you can use a HDD with 7200rpm.

I have good experience with Seagate and Hitachi HDDs but you can also buy a HDD from another manufacture.

Greets

3. Re: Satellite A100-237 (PSAA9E) - Can I upgrade it with a new 320GB HDD?
    >I want to upgrade the harddisk of my Satellite A100-237. It is equipped with 80GB Fujitsu, 5200rpm, SATA. I want to install a new one - 320GB, 7200rpm, SATA. But I don't know is it supported

Don't worry buddy... I don't see any serious reasons why the 320GB SATA HDD would not be supported.
    The SATA controller should handle the bigger HDDs without any big problem.

Important is that you would use a 2.5" SATA HDD. The size and the HDD speed should not affect the compatibility.

Cheers

4. Re: Satellite A100-237 (PSAA9E) - Can I upgrade it with a new 320GB HDD?
    Beginner
    Thank you!
    I know in theory there is no obvious holdback in upgrading 80GB 5400rpm to 320GB 7200rpm, but I was wonreding if the new HDD will be recognized by BIOS correctly. The BIOS is updated to its newest version, dated from the end of 2008. I know there mustn't be a problem, but nevertheless I'm asking.
    Thank you once more time! In monday my notebook will be equipped with new HDD.

Greets!