Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: NB100 - Can't boot from USB pendrive

1. NB100 - Can't boot from USB pendrive
    Beginner
    Hi

I wanted to try Ubuntu netbook remix so I downloaded it and loaded it into my SB pen drive after doing the md5sum test. Then I fixed on the boot order so the usb would boot first, and restarted my Toshiba NB100 with the pen drive inserted. When I start my netbook the first screen where you can press F12 and F2 for BIOS freeze for about 2 min then windows boot.

I'm using a Kingston DataTraveler 4GB pen drive, I dont think its the pendrive because its bootable on my other laptop.

Thank you.

2. Re: NB100 - Can't boot from USB pendrive
    Master
    Hi!

Does this happen only with USB stick or without USB too?

Have you tried another USB stick? For the moment for me it sounds like that the USB stick is not compatible with the notebook or isnít working properly.
    Can you please try another USB stick?

Bye

3. Re: NB100 - Can't boot from USB pendrive
    Beginner
    The freezing thing only happens when I start with my USB inserted, if thats what you ment.

I'll see if I can borrow another USB, as this one is the only one i have.

4. Re: NB100 - Can't boot from USB pendrive
    Beginner
    I'm a very new NB100 user, but here's what happened here.

The new Ubuntu machine was started for the firat time and accessed the internet and my local network via wifi.
    It then went looking for updates and I let it download 137.
    This broke the audio, which I got back through advice on this forum and the rather odd networking arrangements here.

I tried everything and spent hours with private help from a very friendly person on an Ubuntu forum, but failed to sort out the networking properly.

I then went to try the current version of Ubuntu, 9.04, from the Ubuntu site, and loaded it onto a thumb drive. Eventually got it fully installed and it works really well, much better than the 8.04 that came with the machine. BUT, here is where it gets interesting........

I first tried altering the boot order in the bios, and found that although it appeared to change, it was still trying to boot from the original order when the F12 menu came up. So I put the bios boot order back to the original state, with the usb memory at the bottom, and chose that option from the later selection menu and it all worked fine.

There is something really odd about these 2 menus. Everything does appear to work, though, if you leave the bios boot order alone.

I'd be interested in any comments or confirmation of this..

Message was edited by: billaboard

5. Re: NB100 - Can't boot from USB pendrive
    Beginner
    I just tried booting with my USB leaving the boot order alone, but nothing changed. The Toshiba screen still froze and the Windows booted as normal.

6. Re: NB100 - Can't boot from USB pendrive
    Beginner
    I did notice that on the Toshiba site there are 2 bioses listed, one for Linux and one for Windows.

Here, I was updating from one Ubuntu to another, so I didn't change the bios, and think I'd have been scared to anyway..

7. Re: NB100 - Can't boot from USB pendrive
    Beginner
    Dears,

I have exactly the same problem you describe but with a NB105-SP2802C netbook.
    I have updated the BIOS from 1.50 to 2.0, but the problem persist.

I can not boot from the USB. I am trying to install the Ubuntu Netbook Remix version but I can't.
    I have changed the boot order inside the BIOS to boot from USB as first option, but the machine still boot the XP system from the hard disk...

I have tested the 4GB Kingstom USB stick with a desktop machine and it boot Ubuntu from the USB with no problems...

Any suggestion?

Message was edited by: megatek

8. Re: NB100 - Can't boot from USB pendrive
    Beginner
    I have been having exactly the same problem today - I made a bootable USB stick that boots OK on my big laptop, but the NB100 just hung for a while before booting off the hard disk.
    I think the problem is to do with the size of the USB drive - my problem occurred on a 2GB one - I have just tried using a 1GB drive and it booted ok, but note that it appeared as a floppy disk, not a USB drive, so you have to be careful how you select the boot order.
    I suppose it must need a BIOS update to allow booting off bigger drives?

9. Re: NB100 - Can't boot from USB pendrive
    Beginner
    Hello,

You have to switch the Booting sequence to 1. USB, 2. HDD.... in BIOS Setup. Which I think is clear at this point.

It is also necessary to switch option Legacy USB Support to "Enabled" in Advanced menu item.

Then my 16 GB Kingston USB stick booted with lUbuntu ISO image.
    Hope this will help.

Best,
    Rob

10. Re: NB100 - Can't boot from USB pendrive
    Beginner
    Hello,

just switch in Advanced > item something like USB support to Enable and switch the booting sequence to USB on the first position. It should works after Saving and rebooting.

Rob