Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite Pro S - High-pitched sound from left of touchpad

1. Satellite Pro S - High-pitched sound from left of touchpad
    Beginner
    This notebook (less than 3hours out of the box) emits a very faint but annoying high-pitched noise.

A google search suggests this is not uncommon in Toshiba's notebook range but I've not found any 'fixes'.

Any ideas? Thanks for any help.

2. Re: Satellite Pro S - High-pitched sound from left of touchpad
    Master
    Hi!

What Satellite notebook you have exactly?

Itís not easy to say what the reason is for this but sometimes that sounds are caused from the HDD. So maybe you should check the HDD using Drive Fitness Test or you start the notebook without HDD and go in the BIOS. Do you hear the sound without HDD too?

Bye

3. Re: Satellite Pro S - High-pitched sound from left of touchpad
    Master
    Hello

You must understand that info and description you offered cannot help us to understand the problem. Who knows what kind of sound you can hear?

Try to restart your notebook, change volume control and watch carefully what happen. After restart leave notebook in idle state and inform us if the sound is there. Later start several applications rapidly and let us know if the sound will be there.

All these information can help to understand what is wrong there.
    At the moment I can just speculate why this happened and I believe this sound comes from HDD.
    At the end you must replace HDD.

4. Re: Satellite Pro S - High-pitched sound from left of touchpad
    Beginner
    Hi

Sounds to me you are hearing the switch mode power supply. These do sometimes squeal due to the way they work, and I've heard it as well on my Toshiba S300, as well as had similar issues on LCD monitors and other laptops.

It isn't a fault as such and doesn't indicate the laptop is going to fail or go wrong any sooner than another one.

Somethings that may make it stop. Try changing the brightness of the LCD display, this will change the power draw, and if that circuit is causing the squeal the frequency will change and it will likely stop resonating. Does it happen on battery power and mains? It may also stop by itself after a little while, or get worse.

It's your decision if you want to exchange it of course, but give a little while to run in and see if it stops.

Regards

Phil

5. Re: Satellite Pro S - High-pitched sound from left of touchpad
    Akuma
    If you turn the laptop upside down, does the sound sound louder from the bottom?

I'd send it to an ASP for a check/repair.

6. Re: Satellite Pro S - High-pitched sound from left of touchpad
    Beginner
    Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I apologise for my lack of detail. (First time on any forum!)
    The notebook model is Satellite Pro S300 PSSB0A-06300K with Intel Core 2 Duo P8700 2.4GHz, 4GB Ram and 250GB HDD.

The sound is a continuous very, very faint but annoying (and potentially headache-causing) high pitched noise that is audible (in the background) when sitting at a desk in a study shared by no-one else. It is not 'loud' by any means. It comes from the left-hand side, front edge of the notebook. It is no louder from the underside of the notebook. It may be slightly louder from the very edge at the front left corner. When I put my ear to the front left corner it is as if I can hear the whir of something like the HDD and on top of that is a very faint electrical noise that 'becomes' a background high pitched noise when seated normally at my desk. This part is difficult to explain - it is as if the high pitched noise is worse when my ear is 50cm away from the notebook than when it is pressed against it. (FWIW, I do not suffer from tinnitus.) With my ear pressed against the top LHS of the notebook I would describe the high pitch noise as emanating from something 'circular' and 'repetitive'.

The sound remains after attempting the helpful suggestions made already - i.e. restart, screen brightness, sound, ac power/batteries.

I have looked at the Drive Fitness Test (I assume this is the one on the Hitachi site?) but am yet to download it. Currently my notebook is running Windows Vista Business yet on pg4 of the DFT userguide under "Creating a DFT Test Diskette" it does not mention Vista. Is this supported or do I need to install the XP downgrade?

Thanks for your help. This sound is not the end of the world, and I understand the notebook is bound to make some noise when operating but it doesn't seem right. It wouldn't surprise me if I took it back to the shop I purchased it from and they say "what sound? - so I'm being curious on this forum first.