Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite P200-17C - Windows 7 and Toshiba Tools & Utilities

1. Satellite P200-17C - Windows 7 and Toshiba Tools & Utilities
    Beginner
    Hi

I have a few questions regarding my Toshiba P200-17C but I'm not sure if I should be posting in the Satellite forum, the Operating system forum, or the Toshiba Tools & Utilities forum but, because my questions concern all three forums and as the questions are directly related to the tools & utilities, I feel that this may the the one to post in?

After installing Windows 7 RC 64bit, I installed just about all of the 64bit versions of the Toshiba software that are available for my P200-17C and apart from a few niggly issues, all of the Toshiba software and Windows 7 RC 64bit appear to be working just fine on my notebook.

Utilities installed: accoustic silencer, assist, chipset utility, config free, dvd player, decoder driver, flash cards support, flash media, hw setup, LAN, modem, SD utilities, sound, TEMPRO, Touchpad,* value added logical device*, webcam, wireless LAN.

The issues that I am having are as follows:

The six media buttons just above the keyboard which are the internet button, the CD/DVD button, the play/pause button, stop, fast rewind, fast forward.

Toshiba/Utilities/HW Setup

With reference to the first issue - media buttons - apart from the "Internet" and "CD/DVD" buttons, the other four buttons work when Windows Media Player is launched but I would like the internet and CD/DVD buttons to work. With the 64bit OS, be it Wista or Windows 7, Toshiba have a download called "Value Added Logical Device" which they say in the info, "This is a dll which is needed to get all features of the Toshiba Tools working". When extracted, the d/l includes three files and you right-click the INI file and choose install but you get a message saying the the OS does not support this method on installation, so I cannot get the files installed in Windows 7. Does anyone have any idea of how I can get these files installed, or exactly what folders in Windows 7 they need to go in?

With regard to the HW Setup, when you launch this from the desktop, it works ok but under the "BOOT Priority" tab, there are no BOOT options. Again, does anyone know why I don't have any boot options there and how do I get my boot options to appear there?

I have tried to customise the "internet button" by using the "button support" at the top right of the display but when the windows appears, there are fields for description, option, target path and button name, I can insert the target path for IE8 but I am not sure what to enter in the dexscription and option fields and the button name field 'drop-down' has no button names in it (the feild is blank).

I have tried reinstalling the VAP software but that makes no difference.

I realise the Windows 7 is still unfinished but all other Toshiba utilties are working well so any help in getting these buttons to work in Windows 7 would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Dave

2. Re: Windows 7 and Toshiba Tools & Utilities
    Master
    Hello Dave

Until Windows 7 is still in Beta phase and not officially on the market Toshiba and, I believe, any other notebook manufacturer will not offer support for Windows 7.
    I believe you that some tools or utilities work well but it is nothing but luck.

All tools and utilities must be prepared and tested for new operating system. When you download VAP there is must be chosen OS and you can download it for Vista only. So if some tool works is nice but if not there is nothing you can do. Just to wait, like me and many other people who have installed Windows 7 for testing purposes.

3. Re: Windows 7 and Toshiba Tools & Utilities
    Beginner
    Hi Mike

Many thanks for your response.

Yes, your totally right of course and as stated, apart from the few issues which I have raised, all other Toshiba utilties are working fine.

Regards

Dave