Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Tecra M3 and memory upgrade

1. Tecra M3 and memory upgrade
    Beginner
    I have a Tecra M3 (PTM30U-0C6017) and I was upgrading to 2 gigs of memory but one of the slots will not read...only reads the 512 stick...was wondering if there is a fix for this.
    The laptop says it can do 2 gigs. Do I need to flash the BIOS or is there some other way to get it to pick it up?

Thanks Lauri

2. Re: Tecra M3 and memory upgrade
    Master
    Hello lauri

At first I must say that you are right about memory upgrade. Your notebook can handle with 2 GB of RAM.
    Your description is a little bit confusing for me. If you have upgraded it to 2 GB you have probably used 2x1 GB RAMs.
    So, I don't understand what do you mean with *“only reads the 512 stick”.*

Do you use compatible RAMs? Can you test both slots and confirm they are not defective?

3. Re: Tecra M3 and memory upgrade
    Beginner
    what i did was i purchased 2x 1 gig sticks installed them and the computer would not start. so then i took out one of the new sticks, put one of the old ones back in still wouldnt start. so i swapped them to different slots and the computer started....reads out 1.5 gig....so basically the bottom slot will only work with nothing higher than a 512 stick

4. Re: Tecra M3 and memory upgrade
    Master
    Hi

The Ram on Tecra M3 can be upgraded up to 2GB so it should be possible to use the 2 x 1 GB modules!
    What modules did you use?

As far as I know Toshiba recommend using the 200-PIN SODIMM DDR2-400 533Mhz 1GB (PA3411U-1M1G) module.

Maybe you should try different modules….

PS: You could also update the BIOS if a newer version is available on the Toshiba driver page… it’s definitely a worth

5. Re: Tecra M3 and memory upgrade
    Beginner
    ok I will go buy a different module today..i will respond in a little while.

Thank You Lauri