Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite A100 shuts down after memory upgrade

1. Satellite A100 shuts down after memory upgrade
    Beginner
    Consider me as 1 of the thickie bunch.. Not even sure wot im talkin bout but here goes n e way...........
    Have a Satellite A100 570 ( PSAA2E)..........

Have tried several different online sites lookin for memory upgrade. Didn't have the witt to use toshiba site...... Ended up going with Crucial.........
    Ran diagnostic on laptop and was sent the module a needed.or so i thought....... wrong 1 or 1s as i bought 2 x 1G modules in order to " double up".....

Got my money back as they were not compatable with my system.. something to do with density problems....
    Tried company called OFFTEK........ they seemed to know what they were talkin about....... I have from Offtek. at present a..........

200 Pin 1.8v DDR2 PC2-4200 SoDimm....... but Toshiba have recommended below......

1GB PC2-4300 DDR2 Memory (533MHz)
    Part Number: PA3411U-2M1G
    1024MB (1GB) Memory PC2-4300 DDR2 (533MHz)

Theres an obvious difference ...... 4200 and 4300. But im not sure if its a significant difference........... or what it means
    Have updated bios to most recent version and basically updated everything toshiba had to offer for this model...........

Ran EVEREST and it recognises the 1G module but when i take out the original 512mb module the laptop starts for about 3 seconds then shuts down...
    this repeats about 5 times then complete shutdown.....

I dont like opening the back cover too often but this is the 3rd module ....
    Not sure whats meant to happen if the module is working...i.e start up message..not sure if windows recognises 1G module....
    Would it be safer bet to send Offtek module and stick with toshiba option.....

Thanks in advance.....

2. Re: Satellite A100 shuts down after memory upgrade
    Akuma
    PC4200 is the speed of the RAM. PC4300 sounds incorrect, maybe its a misprint being confused with PC5300?

Anyway you can generally mix RAM speeds, the system will simply run both Modules at the lowest speed.

Note that some systems cannot run with RAM only in Slot B, so ensure at least one module is in slot A

3. Re: Satellite A100 shuts down after memory upgrade
    Master
    Hi buddy

Take a look here:
    Memory for Toshiba Satellite A100-570
    http://www.orcalogic.co.uk/asp/prodtype.asp?prodtype=23658&ft=m&st=3

You can use the DDR2 533MHz (PC2-4200) 200-PIN SODIMM memory modules!

The pc2-4300 RAMs are the same like PC2-4200. It’s just a marketing gag… The PC2-4300 are PC2-4200 modules which can be overclocked by some desktop PC BIOS versions…

However, you should take the PC2-4200.

4. Re: Satellite A100 shuts down after memory upgrade
    Beginner
    Hi mate......
    A big thankyou for getting bak so quick...............Have tried the module in both slots...Have tried every combination possible i.e........original module in slot 1 and new module in slot 2.......etc...............still no joy unfortunately.................beginning to think ive got a defective module........Offtek have given me the option of replacing the module.......was planning to wait until i heard from board members o this 1....................

5. Re: Satellite A100 shuts down after memory upgrade
    Beginner
    Cheers R2........ suppose at this stage i could start rhyming off a load of star wars lines but uve probably hears them all before.......
    N e way......... checked out the link u posted..........very useful......
    The module described is identical to what i have.............As with previous reply ( above ) im not sure what to do.........might take up Offteks offer of replacing the module but slightly concerned it might have same outcome......Still not happy bout opening the cover so much........nut needs must i suppose

6. Re: Satellite A100 shuts down after memory upgrade
    Master
    > Cheers R2........ suppose at this stage i could start rhyming off a load of star wars lines but uve probably hears them all before.......
    Not necessary I hear it every day ;) LOL

Regarding the issue:
    I think you should replace the modules. You can try new one or another from different manufacturers… I’m sure it’s a RAM module issue…