Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite Pro P100 - How to enable Intel Virtualization Technology

1. Satellite Pro P100 - How to enable Intel Virtualization Technology
    Beginner
    Hi All,

I have a Satellite Pro P100 P/N PSPA4E-00X00HEN on which I have just installed Windows 7 RC.

I desperately need to run Virtual PC 2007 (other versions won't work) on it but it wants Assisted-Hardware Virtualization enables in the BIOS (Phoenix Technologies V4.70).

I have just updated to the latest BIOS version but it doesn't have the facility to enable AHV in it.
    I have checked the processor specifications and it does have the Intel Virtualization Technology facility.

From what I have read up on the internet, although the Processor is capable the manufacturers on the computers/notebooks, in this case Toshiba, program the BIOS to their liking which will either enable or disable certain features.

What I would like to find out is, is there going to be another upgrade to enable Virtualization or is there another way to do it.

Many thanks in advance.

2. Re: Satellite Pro P100 - How to enable Intel Virtualization Technology
    Master
    Hi

From my knowledge the usage of Virtual PC 2007 does not require a virtual technology supported by hardware (CPU).
    I used Virtual PC and Virtual Machine on PC without the VT capability.

But you are right. The Intel CORE2 DUO T7400(2.16GHZ) CPU supports the VT
    http://ark.intel.com/cpu.aspx?groupId=27256

Unfortunately from my knowledge the P100 BIOS does not support the option to enable/disable the VT.

3. Re: Satellite Pro P100 - How to enable Intel Virtualization Technology
    Beginner
    Hey Jaba,

When running Microsofts Virtual PC or Virtual Machine on WINDOWS 7 it doesn't work if you don't have Hardware-Assisted Virtualization activated in the BIOS. The thing is, can the BIOS be upgraded or more so will Toshiba release another upgrade to activate it because the Processor can handle it.

Thanks

4. Re: Satellite Pro P100 - How to enable Intel Virtualization Technology
    Hi

I doubt that the BIOS can solve this if this feature will be not included into the new BIOS version… if you want you can try to update the BIOS to the newest available version but I’m not quite sure if it will help…

>will Toshiba release another upgrade to activate it because the Processor can handle
    Who knows… ?:|

5. Re: Satellite Pro P100 - How to enable Intel Virtualization Technology
    Beginner
    Hi Markus,

It'sprobably a question that only oshiba can answer. The BIOS is updated to the latest version so now I have to wait and see. Prob is I need it desperately as I use this machine to go out to customers with and like to have something I can test on their domains which VPC is very good at.

Cheers Duncan

6. Re: Satellite Pro P100 - How to enable Intel Virtualization Technology
    Beginner
    I'm also after this functionality. From my understanding it VT can be enabled by making some minor revisions to the BIOS.

Mancubsa is right when he says VT is required to enable the use of VirtualPC in Windows 7 - specifically the newly announced Windows XP compatibility mode. Here are the stated requirements:

+Windows Virtual PC requires a CPU with the Intel� Virtualization Technology or AMD-V® feature turned on. This feature must be enabled in the system BIOS.+ [Link|http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx]

Toshiba please help!

This will become more of an issue when Windows 7 is released to the masses in October. If you are in the same boat please post a message in this forum, perhaps we can get Toshiba's attention.

7. Re: Satellite Pro P100 - How to enable Intel Virtualization Technology
    Master
    Hi

If you are using the Vista OS please install the SP1.
    Then install the tool called “SecurAble” in order to check if the VT has been enabled or disabled.

If the “Hardware Virtualization“ (VT) is enabled then you should see a big, green “Yes“!

8. Re: Satellite Pro P100 - How to enable Intel Virtualization Technology
    Beginner
    I'm in this boat :_|
    I run windows 7 integral on a P100-473 and there's no option to activate VT in the BIOS. Why such a limitation? Is my PC too cheap? :0

9. Re: Satellite Pro P100 - How to enable Intel Virtualization Technology
    Master
    Hi

It’s no matter if the notebook was cheap or not….
    The VT is managed by BIOS…
    Usually the VT would be enabled in BIOS by default even VT settings are not placed in BIOS settings.
    Furthermore in order to use VT the CPU has to support such feature….
    Not all Intel CPU’s supports Virtual Technology…

But your notebook seems to support the Intel Core 2 Duo Mobile Processor T7200 and this CPU seems to support VT like mentioned here:
    http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SL9SL

So usually it should be supported by default.

10. Re: Satellite Pro P100 - How to enable Intel Virtualization Technology
    Beginner
    someone has a solution????
    i have the same Problem!!!!

11. Re: Satellite Pro P100 - How to enable Intel Virtualization Technology
    Akuma
    I believe the P100 BIOS does not supports VT.

I doubt VT will be added on such an old model.