Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: How to expand Satellite U200-115 RAM?

1. How to expand Satellite U200-115 RAM?
    Beginner
    Are there clear instructions anywhere about how to access the U200-115 RAM expansion slots?
    I want to add some more RAM, but can not find out how to get to the slots to do so.
    Reference to a manual with diagrams would be a *lot* of help.

Cheers.

2. Re: How to expand Satellite U200-115 RAM?
    Akuma
    Did you check your Users Manual?

3. Re: How to expand Satellite U200-115 RAM?
    Master
    Hi

The RAM upgrade is not really tricky… I think you could get the access to the memory slots very easily… the slots are placed at the bottom of the unit… as far as I know the slots are secured by one screw… remove the screw and you should be able to remove the cover…

The both slots can handle the DDR2 533MHz (PC2-4200) 200-PIN SODIMM memory modules…
    Usually you could use the modules from different manufacturers… I’m using the Kingston modules and I’m satisfied…

Anyway, as Akuma suggested, it would be helpful if you would check the user manual… there you can find some pictures and short instruction how to insert such modules…

Cheers

4. Re: How to expand Satellite U200-115 RAM?
    Beginner
    Thanks for the responses. The User Manual simply states that to enhance performance extra memory can be added. It give no indication as to how this is to be done. The supplied user manual gives no information about upgrading any of the hardware, including the HD, except to state it can be done.

The bottom of the U200-115 does not have access to memory slots. The only unscrewable part here, aside from the whole base unit, is for the HD.

I have heard that the memory slots are under the keyboard - Would someone from Toshiba like to clarify this please and provide instructions?

5. Re: How to expand Satellite U200-115 RAM?
    Master
    Hmmm.... I was wrong...
    Fact is that on most notebook’s, memory modules are placed at the bottom of the unit but it seems the U200 modules are hidden somewhere under the keyboard!

I found this info in user manual *(page 157)* how to upgrade the RAM

1) Set the notebook to boot mode (just power OFF). Make sure the power indicator is off.
    2) Remove the AC adaptor and battery
    3) Slide the display latches in the front of the computer and open the LCD display panel
    4) Slip your finger under a notch at the end of the keyboard brace and lift up to release latches and remove the keyboard brace.
    5) Remove the two screws securing the keyboard and lift the back, rotate it towards and lay in face down on the palm rest.
    6) Remove two screw and take off the memory module cover
    7) Fit the memory modules connectors into the socket at about 45 degree angel and push the modules down until latches on either side snap into the place.

That’s all!