Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite L10-205 - Product recovery CD is not working

1. Satellite L10-205 - Product recovery CD is not working
    Beginner
    I purchase a Toshiba Satellite L10 - 205 Laptop from Dubai and since than it was working fine.
    But now it was getting slow and I thought to format it by using the original product recovery CD.

When I format it, it gives an error a about 25% of the formatting.
    I tried to do it again and again but the same problem persists.

What I think i got the wrong Product recover CD as when it starts formatting it says loading Windows 98, but I have windows xp in my computer.

Could you please provide me the soultion or is it possible to get the right porduct recovery CD

2. Re: Satellite L10-205 - Product recovery CD is not working
    Master
    > What I think i got the wrong Product recover CD as when it starts formatting it says loading Windows 98, but I have windows xp in my computer.
    This is not a fault… the Toshiba image which is on recovery disks for an older notebook series is based on Win 98 even so the Win XP is on the disk! So don’t worry it’s Win XP!

I’m not quite sure why you cannot recover the notebook but there are two options; either the HDD malfunctions or therefore the notebook was slower or the recovery disk is faulty (maybe due to some scratches, etc…)

In you case it would be advisable to test the notebook with other bootable disks (MS Win XP or Linux) in order to check if the HDD is ok…

3. Re: Satellite L10-205 - Product recovery CD is not working
    Master
    Hi!

I think the reason for this issue is the HDD.

Sometimes I can read here that it’s useful to format the whole HDD before you use the Toshiba recovery disk. Therefore you can use the original Windows XP disk or another program/tool that is able to format the whole HDD.

If it doesn’t work it seems that your HDD is faulty but you can check this with Drive Fitness Test. Use Google to find this very useful tool and it’s also easy to use.

Bye

4. Re: Satellite L10-205 - Product recovery CD is not working
    Beginner
    I tried with another Windows Xp Cd in German and it worked and now I have installed that. But I m not satisfis with it as I want the the Original Windows to be run on it.

So the problem is with the CD and not the HDD. Unfortunately also I lost my data on the drive as I forget to make a backup. I have made two partitions on the C drive and put all my data on D Drive and when I was formatting I thought that only C drive will be formatted, but unfortunately it formatted both

Now Do you think that is it still possible I can recover my data. Need you reply for this question and also is it possible I can get the new product recovery CD as I am sure the problem is with the CD

asim

5. Re: Satellite L10-205 - Product recovery CD is not working
    Master
    I doubt you will be able restore the data after the HDD has been formatted.
    Of course there are some companies which could rescue the data but I think such procedure is not a cheap affair…
    It needs a lot of time and different tools.

Regarding new recovery disk:
    The L10 is one of the oldies so I doubt the recovery disk could be ordered but in your case I would ask an ASP if such recovery disk is still available.