Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Portege M400 - Bios 3.8 Upgrade installation (Vista)

1. Portege M400 - Bios 3.8 Upgrade installation (Vista)
    Beginner
    Hi.

I have just installed a new hard disk and VISTA (Missing the Toshiba HDD Recovery section - Still do not know how to create)

Anyway I have managed to successfully install VISTA. (Trick was to install the Raid Divers in the installation process)

BIOS UPDATE
    Current BIOS 1.6

I would like to update my BIOS to version 3.80 (Latest)
    I have down loaded the BIOS 3.80 files BUT it will not load.

1. I do not have a FDD :(

2. I tried burinng a CD-ROM from the ISO) Bot I could not get it to boot from the CD-ROM (I only have a Toshiba Extenal CD Rom Drive and not sure if it can boot from CD)

3. I tried to run the Launcher and install via Windows BUT received an error message "NOT SUPPORTED ON THIS COMPUTER"

I think the Launcher can only run under XP not vista.

Is there any steps I am missing... Do I need to do an incremental BIOS update and how do I install without a FDD or Bootable CD-Rom Drive?

2. Re: Portege M400 - Bios 3.8 Upgrade installation (Vista)
    Master
    > 1. I do not have a FDD
    You don’t need a FDD because the Toshiba BIOS is win-based BIOS and not traditional BIOS and this would mean that you have to execute the BIOS update while OS is running.

> . I tried burning a CD-ROM from the ISO) But I could not get it to boot from the CD-ROM (I only have a Toshiba External CD Rom Drive and not sure if it can boot from CD)
    As mentioned above this BIOS update can be executed ONLY while OS is running! It’s win-based BIOS!!

> 3. I tried to run the Launcher and install via Windows BUT received an error message "NOT SUPPORTED ON THIS COMPUTER"
    Either you have chosen a BIOS update which does not support this notebook or you have to run this update using the Toshiba preinstalled Windows OS.

> Do I need to do an incremental BIOS update and how do I install without a FDD or Bootable CD-Rom Drive?
    Not possible -> see point 1 and 2

3. Re: Portege M400 - Bios 3.8 Upgrade installation (Vista)
    Beginner
    Sorry but that does not answer my question.

I have installed Windows Vista.

I download the latest Bios version for my computer M400 from the Toshiba Support site.

I tried to run the Bios upgrade from the Launcher using the Windows Installation method.

The system reports "NOT SUPPORTED ON THIS SYSTEM"

Now I would assume that software that is from Toshiba related to my Toshiba notebook and supposedly VISTA compatible would run. I assume that Toshiba supports VISA?

The Error Message provides little to no information as to why it did not run.

My current Bios version is 1.6 Now I assume the latest BIOS version for my notebook is 3.8

But then you know what ASSUME is an acronym for?

Message was edited by: Tripillian

4. Re: Portege M400 - Bios 3.8 Upgrade installation (Vista)
    Akuma
    Is it 64bit Vista?

Did you try running the BIOS Update as Administrator?
    (Right click the EXE file and choose "Run as Administrator")

Maybe you need to install the Toshiba Value Added Package, so the BIOS can recognize the system.

5. Re: Portege M400 - Bios 3.8 Upgrade installation (Vista)
    Master
    Hi Tripillian

I very rare cases you need the Toshiba preinstalled OS in order to update the BIOS…
    So in my opinion you will be able to update the BIOS if you would install the OS from the Toshiba Recovery disk.
    After the installation try to update the BIOS…

After the BIOS has been updated you could install the Vista again…

Cheers