Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Tecra 8100 - max processor, DVD-ROM and BIOS update questions

1. Tecra 8100 - max processor, DVD-ROM and BIOS update questions
    Beginner
    1. I have a 500 MHz processor on my 8100. I'd like to upgrade it to max capacity. My guess it's 800MHz since that's the highest the series went to.
    But if it is 800 MHz, will any PIII Mobile on this frequency do? Or should I check for special parameters of the processor?

2. I don't have a floppy drive, neither means to get one. And I'm not going to ebay one just for a BIOS update. Any ideas? Will a bootable CD with the files do the trick?

3. What's the slot of the DVD-ROM and what replacement models can I use? The 8200 went as far as an 8x DVD-RW. Could I go further?

Thanks. Hopefully my post is OK like this instead of three different posts.

2. Re: Tecra 8100 - max processor, DVD-ROM and BIOS update questions
    Akuma
    1. Have a look at the other Tecra 8100 models to determine what CPU's are compatible.

2. I dont think a bootable CD would work, you need to follow a special procedure to update the BIOS, and it requires a floppy drive. If there is a Windows version, you should use that instead.

3. Upgrading the DVD drive can be difficult since you need to use the correct Master/Slave settings and it needs to have the same faceplate design of the original one.

Personally, I would sell the laptop and buy a faster second hand one. It may work out to be cheaper.

3. Re: Tecra 8100 - max processor, DVD-ROM and BIOS update questions
    Luke
    Hello

1. I donít know if other CPUís will work but as Akuma said check the specifications of other Tecra 8100.
    Otherwise for this question I can prefer this document :)
    http://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/kb0/TSB9401AX0001R01.htm

2. I doubt that a CD drive will work but external USB FDD you can get very cheap on eBay or somewhere else. Check this!

3. I think a DVD-RW will not work. If you want to exchange the ODD you should look in the user manual of Tecra 8100. There you should find a list of compatible drives.

As Akuma said I would not upgrade this pretty old notebook. This will not bring more performance but the parts cost a lot of money so I think the better solution would be a new notebook but this is my personal opinion.

Greets

4. Re: Tecra 8100 - max processor, DVD-ROM and BIOS update questions
    tabbycat
    Regarding your question 2:

Yes, a bootable CD should work because the original Toshiba Recovery CD media is bootable and (as far as I am aware) the Tecra 8100 CD drive doesn't require any special drivers as it is IDE compatible.