Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: What does the recovery disc include - Satellite A300?

1. What does the recovery disc include - Satellite A300?
    Beginner
    Hi. I have a Satellite A300 laptop.
    I saw that my computer has 1 hidden partition in the first drive and another recovery file in the second drive.

1) What is the difference between the 2?
    2) I accidentally deleted the file on the second drive, and now I'm unable to create a recovery disc, so I need to order a new one.

What does the disc contain? does it only install the operating system, or will it also include some of the software that came with my laptop (Microsoft works, camera assistance software and so on...)

Thank you.

2. Re: What does the recovery disc include?
    Master
    1) This is pretty easy. The hidden partition contains the Windows recovery environment and the file on the second partition in the HDD recovery folder the factory settings or lets an image of it.
    The recovery environment is a Vista feature, not a Toshiba. If you want the factory settings back or reinstall Windows you need the HDD recovery function or the Toshiba recovery disk.
    Here is a useful link about the recovery environment: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WinRE

2) The reason why you can’t create the recovery disk is that you have deleted the file. Normally on the second partition in the HDD recovery folder is the image for that and this can also be used for the HDD recovery function. Therefore you must go in the advanced boot menu and select “repair my computer”. But now it’s too late and you can’t use this feature.

If you want the recovery disk you can order a new one from Toshiba directly:
    https://backupmedia.toshiba.eu/landing.aspx
    The recovery disk contains the operating system and all drivers and tools from Toshiba that you need for the notebook.

I’m right that you didn’t look in the user manual?! ;)
    Otherwise you would know all what I have told you.

3. Re: What does the recovery disc include?
    Master
    >What does the recovery disc include?
    Recovery disc or recovery image includes operating system, all necessary drivers, Toshiba designed tools & utilities and some additional software.

Recovery image has nothing to do with 1,5 GB hidden WinRE partition. Toshiba recovery image that can be used for further OS installation is saved on second partition in folder called “HDDRecovery”.

You are right about disc order. Now you will not be able to install Vista again. So please order new Toshiba recovery disc following link given by Raver.