Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Portege M400 - How can I disassemble it?

1. Portege M400 - How can I disassemble it?
    Beginner
    Hello all,

im having heat problems with my second hand M400. Now the previous owner told me Toshiba changed the mainboard once.

Since the temps are high and the fan runs almost all the time even when theres no cpu usage and its throttled down im thinking the might have made a mistake at toshibas while reassembling the unit. Maybe they forgot the thermal grease or dindn't screw down the heatsink properly or therelike. And the fan dosent sound very healthy compared to my other, older M400.

Has any of you ever disassembled an M400? How do you get to the heatsink, from top or bottom of the unit? any fragile or tricky parts i should look out for? Is there a even a How-to with pictures out there in the depths of the internet? :D

I've built and repaired a lot of desktops, so im quite computer savvy, but on laptops i've only changed RAM so far. so im really greatful for all your tips.

thank you

2. Re: Portege M400 - How can I disassemble it?
    Master
    Hi!

I think the best way is you contact the ASP again.

Disassembling a notebook is a little bit tricky. You must remove a lot of screws and parts and so this should only be done from a notebook technician.

Maybe you can find a workaround by using Google but a notebook technician can help you more.

Bye

3. Re: Portege M400 - How can I disassemble it?
    Beginner
    Hello and thanks for your answer.

Im not a native english speaker, what does ASP stand for?

I'd prefer not to do it myself but since i bought it second hand from a private person theres no warranty or service what so ever.

4. Re: Portege M400 - How can I disassemble it?
    Master
    Hi!

ASP is the shortcut of authorized service provider.

On the Toshiba website you can search for an ASP:
    http://eu.computers.toshiba-europe.com => Support & Downloads => Find an authorized service provider

Bye

5. Re: Portege M400 - How can I disassemble it?
    Enthusiast
    hi,

I have searched by using Google and I founded a website called Irisvista and there is a workaround for this.
    Check this!

6. Re: Portege M400 - How can I disassemble it?
    Beginner
    thanks kjo,

thats exactly what i was looking for. perfect!

now wish me luck :)