Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Portege S100: How to change the RAID in the BIOS

1. Portege S100: How to change the RAID in the BIOS
    Beginner
    Changing the BIOS setting for Portege S100 from JBOD to RAID0, I hit space on Exectute Creation and enter the string key in the manual and press "enter".
    The settings then return to existing settings and not the new RAID0 setting I selected.

I have been at this most of the day / evening looking at various posts, but I can see nothing wrong with the details entered.

It is the same as recorded in this link:-
    [How to Change the RAID configuration|http://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/kb0/TSB6901K60006R01.htm]

I am now at the end of my tether, I only wanted to install new WD HDD and do fresh install of XP Pro, is that too much to ask?

2. Re: Portege S100: How to change the RAID in the BIOS
    Akuma
    Did you enter "1234" as the confirmation code when you changed the RAID setting?

This code can be found in the users manual :)

3. Re: Portege S100: How to change the RAID in the BIOS
    Beginner
    I did indeed enter 1234 as the confirmation code.
    It does not seem to keep these settings, any ideas?

4. Re: Portege S100: How to change the RAID in the BIOS
    Akuma
    Did you set both HDD to RAID, and press END to save the changes?

If that doesnt work, you can try doing it via the Recovery Disc.
    I believe you can select the RAID settings during the initial stages of Recovery.

5. Re: Portege S100: How to change the RAID in the BIOS
    Beginner
    I only have the option to set one HDD to RAID, I do not have the recovery disk anymore I am afraid.

6. Re: Portege S100: How to change the RAID in the BIOS
    Master
    Maybe it’s a silly question but; did you install the second HDD in the Ultra Slim Bay?
    The RAID feature is ONLY available when a second HDDD is installed in the Ultra Slim Bay.

If the second HDD has been inserted then you could change the RAID in Windows OS.
    There should be a Toshiba RAID Console.
    You can use this console to create or manage a RAID array.

To start the utility click Start, point to All Programs, point to Toshiba, point to RIAD and click RAID console.
    It’s possible to change RAID1 (mirroring) from a non-RAID configuration (default).

But note; when RAID1 is set, you cannot change your settings unless you completely restore your preinstalled software.

7. Re: Portege S100: How to change the RAID in the BIOS
    Beginner
    Thanks for that, I am not using the second HDD bay, I know it makes sense with the RAID option, but I am trying to install XP onto new disk. Windows is not seeing the drive even though I have installed the drivers onto the XP disk (nLite). I thought that you could not install new XP installation onto the laptop with the JBOD setting as this is for the recovery option only?? confused now.

8. Re: Portege S100: How to change the RAID in the BIOS
    Master
    Hey Jules,

Please check your user manual how to manage the RAID settings!
    I believe you did something wrong and I think you try to set the RAID for a second HDD…
    Please ensure that the settings belong to the one, first HDD!

If you don’t have the user manual, then you could download it from the Toshiba page!
    Note; the S100 is an older notebook so everything can be found in “Archive” (in product type choose Archive instead of notebook)

9. Re: Portege S100: How to change the RAID in the BIOS
    Beginner
    Hi there and thanks again.

I have downloaded the manual, and followed it, and the BIOS setting are indeed set for the 1st HDD not second.

I can not believe that it is this difficult to perform a fresh install of XP onto a "new" HDD. I have installed the RAID drivers downloaded from the Toshiba site, and installed these onto my XP image with nLite (selecting the KR101.INF Text Drivers, not windows). However XP still does not recognise the new HDD. The BIOS setting still says JBOD, and I am a little greyer ...

Are there particular drivers I should be using for JBOD that I am not, or is my laptop just not playing ball

Message was edited by: JulesAnime

10. Re: Portege S100: How to change the RAID in the BIOS
    Master
    I have downloaded the RAID driver fro Portege S100.
    There is an folder called *KR10N*.

In this folder you will find 7 different files… there is also *KR10N.INF* file (and not KR101.INF)

If you are using the nLite then I would recommend including all these files placed in the KR10N folder (if possible).

11. Re: Portege S100: How to change the RAID in the BIOS
    Beginner
    Thanks .. can you let me know the URL for these drivers as the ones I got from Toshiba do not show the KR101n option..

Many Thanks again

I have found another source for the driver, not from Toshiba with the drivers you mention ... I will give this a go..

Thanks Again

Message was edited by: JulesAnime

12. Re: Portege S100: How to change the RAID in the BIOS
    Master
    You will find on the Toshiba European driver page:
    http://eu.computers.toshiba-europe.com -> Support & Download -> Download Drivers

Archive -> Portege -> Portege S series -> Portege S100 -> Win XP -> Raid driver

In RAID driver package you will find the folder called KR10N.

13. Re: Portege S100: How to change the RAID in the BIOS
    Beginner
    Sorry that did not work again for me... I am giving up trying to install the new HDD, and will instead scrub and re-format the old 60gb drive.

14. Re: Portege S100: How to change the RAID in the BIOS
    Beginner
    Hi

Don't know if this got sorted or not but I have just stumbled across this thread and here is how it is done.

Highlight JBOD and press Backspace
    arrow down to Execute and Backspace
    Enter 1234 and press ENTER - NOT Backspace or Space
    Press End and Y
    Good Luck

Message was edited by: ricwsin

15. Re: Portege S100: How to change the RAID in the BIOS
    Beginner
    After much grief, I finally found a solution so I thought I would post it

I downloaded the RAID drivers for an M400 (which has windows 7 support) and found they worked just fine on my S100 !

I think the problem is that the wrong drivers are held against the S100 so they just do not work.

Good luck
    Dave