Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: How to create a dual boot with installed Vista on my Satellite U400?

1. How to create a dual boot with installed Vista on my Satellite U400?
    Beginner
    Hello,

I just bought a U400-17H with vista installed on HDD. I would like to create a dual boot with XP Pro.

I only have one HDD aleady with 2 partitions (1 for vista + 1 for data).
    I want to cut the vista partition in two 2 parts to install XP Pro.
    So at the end I will have 3 partitions 1 vista (65 Mo), 1 xp(65 Mo) and 1 data (125 Mo).

It's easy ti create a new partition ok (I suppose under vista)
    but is there a dedicated programm to install another OS and to create a dual boot.

thanks to help me because I heart a lot of things and the opposite. i'm sur that it's possible but what are the right process to have at the end two OS and the choice when the laptop start

thanks
    gerard

2. Re: How to create a dual boot with installed Vista on my Satellite U400?
    Master
    Hi!

Create a new partition for Windows XP and install it. This is no problem.

After this you must restore the Windows Vista boot loader. You can do this with EasyBCD. Install it and start the program.
    Go to the "Add/Remove Entries" tab. You'll see that there's only one option available in the Vista bootloader at the moment. In the "Add an Entry" section, change the Drive in the dropdown menu from C:\ to E:\. Change Type to "Windows NT/2k/XP/2k3", and the Name to "Microsoft Windows XP". Then click "Add Entry" and "Save".
    Then go to the "Manage Bootloader" tab. Make sure that "Reinstall the Vista Bootloader" is selected and then click "Write MBR".

Now you can restart the notebook and you should have a full working dual boot system.

Bye

3. Re: How to create a dual boot with installed Vista on my Satellite U400?
    Beginner
    hi lars thanks for very quick answer.

Do I create the new partition with vista (I suppose yes format NTFS ?)
    I install xp ok but I saw in other forum that after Xp installation you don't have acces to vista. Is the program easy BCD run under XP and where to find it.
    i also read that I have to chage in the bios the sata mode from enhanced to compatible what is your advice.
    Why to change from c to E is the new partition automatically called E and DVD drive D?

sorry for a lot of question but I would lmike to be sure before installing Xp and sure to be able to use both OS

regards

4. Re: How to create a dual boot with installed Vista on my Satellite U400?
    Master
    > Do I create the new partition with vista (I suppose yes format NTFS ?)
    You can create it only in Vista if XP is not installed on the HDD ;)

> Install xp ok but I saw in other forum that after Xp installation you don't have acces to vista. Is the program easy BCD run under XP and where to find it.
    You have to boot from original Vista disk to repair the boot loader and then to insatll the BCD. The BCD can be downloaded from different pages... googele!

5. Re: How to create a dual boot with installed Vista on my Satellite U400?
    Beginner
    I don't have the original CD because vista was installed on HDD without cd or DVD within the box.

so how to restore vista. I only have restauration DVD (complete system) created during the first boot. is it ok or is there other possibilities

regards

6. Re: How to create a dual boot with installed Vista on my Satellite U400?
    Master
    > I don't have the original CD because vista was installed on HDD without cd or DVD within the box
    Bad! Maybe you could borrow the Vista disk from a friend

> so how to restore vista
    Without the original Vista DVD you will be not able to restore the vista's boot manager!
    The Toshiba disk does not repair the Vista but it installs the whole system again!!!

I create a dual boot on my Satellite and I needed the Vista disk in order to repair the boot manager after Win XP installation!
    Then I booted the Vista and installed BCD... using the BCD I was able to include the Win XP to the Vista boot manager and this helped to get access to two OS; Vista and XP!

7. Re: How to create a dual boot with installed Vista on my Satellite U400?
    Beginner
    hi
    does tbe bcd soft able to recover the vista bootlaod without vista. it seems that <i understood on several forum but any very clear infomation on that

8. Re: How to create a dual boot with installed Vista on my Satellite U400?
    Master
    Hi!

Sorry but how do you want to recover the Windows Vista boot loader without Vista? This would only work if you have Vista installed.

If you have Vista installed try it and post your result. Normally it should work.

Bye